Research Associate Professor Lin Xie is interested in advanced electron microscopy and its application in the characterization of functional materials, e.g. multiferroic strong-correlation oxides and thermoelectrics. In the research of property-structure relations of functional materials, I would combine the state-of-the-art advanced electron microscopy techniques (atomic-resolution scanning/transmission electron microscopy, X-ray energy-dispersive spectra and electron energy-loss spectroscopy), in situ TEM and density functional theory calculations. Now I have published 35 research papers on Nature, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials and Nano Letters.
Advanced Electron Microscopy, ferroelectrics/relaxor ferroelectrics, strong-correlation oxide, thermoelectrics
2007-2012, Ph.D. Tsinghua University
2003-2007, B.S. Tsinghua University
2017-present, Research Associate Professor at SUSTech
2012-2017, Research Associate at Nanjing University
Honors & Awards
2010 K.-H. Kuo Outstanding Student Award
1. Y. Zhang, H.D. Lu, L. Xie et al., Anisotropic polarization-induced conductance at a ferroelectric-insulator interface, Nature Nanotechnology 13, 1132 (2018).
2. Y. Zhang, L. Xie* et al., Discovery of a magnetic conductive interface in PbZr0.2Ti0.8O3/SrTiO3 heterostructres, Nature Communications 9, 685 (2018). (* co-first author)
3. L. Xie et al., Giant ferroelectric polarizations in ultrathin ferroelectric films by boundary-condition engineering, Advanced Materials 29, 1701475 (2017).
4. T.H. Kim, D. Puggioni, Y. Yuan, L. Xie et al., Polar Metals by Geometric Design, Nature 533, 68 (2016).
5. Y. Heo, J.H. Lee, L. Xie et al., Enhanced conductivity at orthorhombic-rhombohedral phase boundaries in BiFeO3 thin films, NPG Asia Materials 8, e297 (2016).
6. X.F. Chang, L. Xie* et al., Probing the light harvesting and charge rectification of bismuth nanoparticles behind the promoted photoreactivity onto Bi/BiOCl catalyst by (in-situ) electron microscopy, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 201, 495 (2016). (* co-first author)
7. L. Xie, X.Q. Pan, Enhancement of Oxygen Contrast in a STEM HAADF Image of Perovskite Oxide SrTiO3 Using Maximum Entropy Method, Microscopy and Microanalysis 21, 2015.
8. L. Xie, P. Wang, and X. Q. Pan, A perturbation theory study of electron vortices in electromagnetic fields: The case of infinite long line charge and magnetic dipole, Micron 63, 9-14 (2014).
9. L. Xie, J. Zhu, The Electronic Structures, Born Effective Charge, and Interatomic Force Constants in BaMO3 (M=Ti, Zr, Hf, Sn): A Comparative First-Principles Study, Journal of the American Ceramic Society 95, 3597 (2012).
10. L. Xie et al., Static and dynamic polar nanoregions in relaxor ferroelectric Ba(Ti1-xSnx)O3 system at high temperature, Physical Review B 85, 014118 (2012).