Dr. Huawei ZHANG is currently a Research Associate Scientist in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology. Using structural biology, especially cryo-EM as a tool, he aims to understand the mechanism of Helicobacter pylori pathogenesis, understand the biogenesis of exosomes and their applications in the diagnosis and treatment of osteoarthritis. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in 2017 and then did postdoc work in The Chinese University of Hong Kong until 2019. He has several presentations at international academic conferences and won the Travel Awards. He has published several academic papers and holds one project funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC).
Structural Biology (Cryo-EM and X-ray crystallography)
Biogenesis of exosome
Diagnosis and treatment of osteoarthritis
Education and Qualification
2013 – 2017 PhD in Biochemistry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
2009 - 2012 Master in Biophysics, Fudan University.
2005 - 2009 Bachelor of Science, Guizhou University
2020 - now Research Associate Scientist, Southern University of Science and Technology
2017 - 2019 Research Associate/Postdoctoral Fellow, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
2012 - 2013 Research Assistant, Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Science
● Lam W.W.L., Sun K.L., ZHANG H.W., Au S.W.N. (2020) Crystal Structure of Flagellar Export Chaperone FliS in Complex With Flagellin and HP1076 of Helicobacter pylori. Front. Microbiol., 2020 May 19;11:787. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.00787. eCollection 2020.
● Qu J.L, Cao S., Wei Q.X., Zhang H.W., Wang R., Kang W., Ma, T., Zhang L., Liu T.G., Au S.W.N.,Sun F., Xia J. (2019) Engineering covalent multienzyme complexes to increase the flux of terpenoid biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. ACS Nano. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.9b03631.
● Kang W., Ma T., Liu M., Qu J.L., Liu Z.J., Zhang H.W., Shi B., Fu S., Ma J.C., Lai L., He S.C., Qu J.N., Au S.W.N., Kang B., Lau W., Deng Z.X., Xia J., Liu T.G. (2019) Modular enzyme assembly for enhanced cascade biocatalysis and metabolic flux. Nat commun. 10(1):4248. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-12247-w.
● Zhang K.M.*, Zhang H.W.*, Li S.S.*, Pintilie G.D., Mou T.C., Gao Y.Z., Zhang Q.F., Bedem H.V.D.,Schmid M.F., Au S.W.N., Chiu W. (2019). Cryo-EM structures of Helicobacter pylori vacuolating cytotoxin A oligomeric assemblies at near-atomic resolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116 (14) 6800-6805. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1821959116. (* co-first author).
● Lam K.H., Xue C.L., Sun K.L., Zhang H.W., Lam W.W.L., Zhu Z.Y., Ng J.T.Y., Sause W. E.,Lertsethtakarn P., Lau K. F., Ottemann K. M. and Au S.W.N. (2018) Three SpoA-domain proteins interact in the creation of the flagellar type III secretion system in Helicobacter pylori. J. Biol. Chem. 293, 13961-13973. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.002263
● Xue, C.L., Lam, K. H., Zhang, H.W., Sun, K.L., Lee, S.H., Chen, X., and Au, S.W.N. (2017) Crystal structure of the FliF-FliG complex from Helicobacter pylori yields insight into the assembly of the motor MS-C ring in the bacterial flagellum. J. Biol. Chem. 293(6):2066-2078. doi:10.1074/jbc.M117.797936
● Zhang, H.W., Lam, K.H., Lam, W.W.L., Wong, S.Y.Y., Chan, V.S.F., and Au, S.W.N. (2017) A putative spermidine synthase interacts with flagellar switch protein FliM and regulates motility in Helicobacter pylori. Mol Microbiol. 106 (5): 690-703. doi: 10.1111/mmi.13829.
● Zhang, H.W., and Au, S.W.N. (2017) Helicobacter pylori does not use spermidine synthase to produce spermidine. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 490 (3): 861–867.
● Zhang, H.W., Zeng, X.M., Qi, Q., Sun, K.L., Ma, C.J., Hu, X.J., and Lin, J. (2014) The in vitro interaction of CmeA with CmeC. Chin. Sci. Bull. 59 (25): 3114-3119.