Dr. Yuan GAO received the B.Eng. and M.Eng. degrees from Xi’an Jiaotong University in 2009 and 2012, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2017. From 2017 to 2019, he was a Post-Doctoral Fellow with HKUST. Since November 2019, he serves as an Assistant Professor at School of Microelectronics, Southern University of Science and Technology. His research interests include analog and power integrated circuits design, especially for various high-voltage applications. Dr. Gao has published more than 20 international journals and conferences, including 3 JSSC (top1 journal in IC design) and 1 ISSCC (top1 conference in IC design, also known as ‘Chip Olympics’). He also serves in the review boards of multiple international journals and conferences.
2012–2017, Ph.D. in Electronic and Computer Engineering, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
2009–2012, M.Eng. in Electronic Science and Technology, Xi’an Jiaotong University
2005–2009, B.Eng. in Microelectronics, Xi’an Jiaotong University
2019.11–Present, Assistant Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
2017.9–2019.10, Post-Doctoral Fellow, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Power and Analog IC Design
LED System / GaN Driver / Wireless Power Transfer System / DC-DC Converter
IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society Student Travel Grant Award (STGA), ISSCC 2017
1st Place Winner, the 9th Synopsys International Microelectronics Olympiad Contest, Hong Kong (2014)
- Y.Gao, L. Li and P. K.T. Mok, “An Inductor-Less LED Driver for Efficient Lighting and Visible-Light- Communication”, IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits (JSSC), 2018, Vol. 53, No. 8, pp. 2343-2355, Aug. 2018.
- Y.Gao, L. Li, P. K.T. Mok. “Design of LED Driver ICs for High-Performance Miniaturized Lighting Systems”, IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices & IC's (ISPSD), May 2018. (invited paper)
- Li, Y. Gao, H. Jiang, P. K.T. Mokand K. M. Lau, “An Auto-Zero-Voltage-Switching Quasi- Resonant LED Driver with GaN FETs and Fully Integrated LED Shunt Protectors”, IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits (JSSC), Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 913–923, March 2018.
- Gao, L. Li and P. K.T. Mok, “An AC Input Switching-Converter-Free LED Driver with Low-Frequency- Flicker Reduction”, IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits (JSSC), 2017, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 1424-1434, May 2017.
- Wan, Y.K. Teh, Y. Gao and P. K.T. Mok, “Analysis and Design of a Thermoelectric Energy Harvesting System with Reconfigurable Array of Thermoelectric Generators for IoT Applications”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I (TCAS-I), Vol. 64, No. 9, pp. 2346-2358, September 2017.
- Gao, L. Li, P. K.T. Mok. “An AC-Input Inductor-less LED Driver for Visible-Light-Communication Applications with 8Mb/s Data Rate and 6.4% Low-Frequency Flicker”, IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), Feb. 2017, pp. 384-385.
- Li, Y. Gao, P. K.T. Mok. “A Multiple-String Hybrid LED Driver with 97% Power Efficiency and 0.996 Power Factor”, IEEE Symposium on VLSI Technology, June 2016, pp. 106-107.
- Li, Y. Gao, P. K.T. Mok. “A More Accurate Steady State Analysis of Zero-Voltage Switching Quasi-Resonant Converters”, IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, June 2016, pp. 1606-1609.
- Li, Y. Gao, P. K.T. Mok, I.S. M. Sun and N. Park. “A 16–28-W 92.8%-Efficiency Monolithic Quasi-Resonant LED Driver with Constant-Duty-Ratio Frequency Regulator”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II (TCAS-II), Vol. 62, No. 12, pp. 1199-1203, December 2015.
- Gao, L. Li, P. K.T. Mok. “A 5.5 W AC Input Converter-Free LED Driver with 82% Low-Frequency-Flicker Reduction, 88.2% Efficiency and 0.92 Power Factor”, IEEE Symposium on VLSI Circuits, June 2015, pp. C286-C287.
- Gao, S. Wang, H. Li, L. Chen, S. Fan, L. Geng. “A Novel Zero-Current-Detector for DCM Operation in Synchronous Converter”, IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, May 2012, pp. 99-104.