Research is one of the three pillars of SUSTech, a public research university in Guangdong Province, China. SUSTech aims to become a globally recognized high-level research university, an important base for China's major scientific and technological research and a world-class destination for first-rate innovative personnel.
Scientific research is the basis for supporting high-level talent pipelines and developing advanced academic disciplines. In 2018, the National Key Laboratory for Comprehensive Prevention and Control of Surface Water and Groundwater Pollution became the first approved ministerial-level laboratory at SUSTech.
- Approved research projects since establishment: 1319
- Total funding since establishment: more than 2 billion yuan
- Competitive projects won: 531 for more than 850 million yuan in funding
- Pearl River Talent Plan Ranking (2018) : #1 in Guangdong Province (4 teams approved)
- 2018 WFC Nature Index: 83.33 (28th in mainland China)
- 2018 Nature Index Ranking: 26th among mainland China's universities
- ESI Ranking: 2 disciplines in top 1% globally (Chemistry and Materials Science)
In 2018, SUSTech has published a total of 2,314 academic papers, consisting of 2,023 journal articles, 261 conference papers, 30 academic works and 106 patents.
Our faculty members have won 3 national-level science and technology awards, 2 provincial-level science and technology awards, and 5 municipal-level science and technology awards.
- Professor Hu Qing - 2nd Prize of the 2017 National Science Technology Progress Award (2018 award)
- Professor He Jiajing - 2nd prize of 2017 Ministry of Education Natural Science Award (2018 award)
- Professor Chen Shuming – 2017 Shenzhen Youth Science and Technology Award (2018 Award)
- Associate Professor Wan Minping - "Outstanding Young Scholar Award" in 2018
- Professor Liu Junguo – 15th Science and Technology Award for Chinese Youth.
- Professors Tang Jigen and Jing Zhiwei - Outstanding Research Achievement Award of the Chinese Archaeological Society (Golden Tripod Award).
Research Institutes and Laboratories
Scientific research institutes and laboratories are the key venues for scientific research at SUSTech. They are important bases for gathering and cultivating outstanding scientific and technological talents, deploying advanced scientific research equipment to conduct high-level academic exchanges with the goal of producing high-level scientific research results. They are at the core of SUSTech’s academic system.
SUSTech has been approved to build 36 scientific research facilities, including 9 national/provincial-level key laboratories and 27 municipal-level key laboratories. There are 4 facilities under construction, including the first Nobel Prize Laureate laboratory funded by the Shenzhen Municipal Government, the Shenzhen Grubbs Institute. The Shenzhen Institute of Quantum Science and Engineering is one of the top ten basic research institutions approved by Shenzhen.
SUSTech Public Research Service Platform:
In order to build a world-class scientific research base with facilities for technological exchange, SUSTech has integrated its own disciplines to build several interdisciplinary research centers, led by our leading scientists.
More than 20 interdisciplinary research centers will be constructed in phases. There are currently four research centers that have been built so far, with a number of research centers under construction.
Technology Transfer Center
The Technology Transfer Center works with the various departments of SUSTech to work with their advanced technologies, examining the market for their technologies and managing the intellectual property on behalf of the university and its departments. It promotes the development of common industrial, key, and forward-looking technologies, to build the special characteristics of SUSTech. The accumulated and large-scale innovative technology transfer platform within SUSTech promotes the close connection between the advanced technology and market forces.
The Office of Research provides strategy and support to researchers across campus.
The Office of Research assists research teams in preparing for grant applications, regulatory requirements, working with symposiums and overseas conferences, and a variety of other matters that maximizes the benefits to both the research teams and SUSTech.
Office of Research
Technology Transfer Center
School of Innovation and Entrepreneurship