Professor Yi Zheng received his Ph.D. degree in environmental science and management from University of California, Santa Barbara. Dr. Zheng joined the School of Environmental Science & Engineering (ESE) at SUSTech in January 2016. He is currently the Associate Dean of the School of ESE. Before he joined SUSTC, he was an associate professor and the Associate Director of the Department of Energy and Resources Engineering at Peking University. He is an Associate Director of the Young Scientists Committee of China Society of Natural Resources. He is a recipient of the Excellent Young Scholars Award from National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC).
After he came back to China in 2007, his research has been supported by more than 10 nation-level grants, as well as several consulting projects. Dr. Zheng has achieved significant research progress in environmental modeling, decision-making, and uncertainty analysis. He has published more than 70 academic papers and book chapters, more than 40 of which are in SCI journals. He has seven papers published in Water Resources Research (WRR). Two WRR papers were given honors of cover paper, Editor’s Highlight and featured article. Other SCI papers were also published in well-recognized environmental and water resources journals like Journal of Hydrology, Environmental Modelling & Software, Advances in Water Resources, Environmental Pollution, Science of the Total Environment, Agricultural Water Management, Water Research etc.
Dr. Zheng has extensive experience of watershed management practice, both in the U.S. and in China. He held a water resources engineer position in an environmental consulting firm before he came back to China, and his tasks included watershed water quality modeling, and development and management application of decision-making systems. He participated in, as a key member, several water resources assessment and environmental planning projects contracted with state and local government agencies, including California Department of Transportation, Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board, and Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. These projects cover watersheds in both west and east coastal areas of the U.S. In China, his watershed work covered Heihe River Basin, Huaihe River Basin, Luanhe River Basin, Xiangjiang River Basin, and Chaohu Lake Basin, as well as urban watersheds in modern cities like Beijing and Qingdao.
Peking University Environmental Science B.Sc. 2000
Peking University Economics B.A. 2000
Peking University Environmental Science M.Sc. 2002
University of California, Santa Barbara Environmental Science & Management Ph.D. 2007
02/2018- present Professor and Associate Dean, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
01/2016- 01/2018 Associate Professor and Associate Dean, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
07/2007-12/2015.12 Associate Professor and Associate Director, Department of Energy and Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, China
01/2007-07/2007 Water Resources Engineer, Systech Engineering, Inc. (now Systech Water Resources, Inc.), San Ramon, California, USA
1. Associate Editor of Water Resources Research
2. Associate Editor of Journal of Hydrologic Engineering-ASCE
3. Vice Chair of Faculty Council, 2016- 2018.
4. Associate Director of the Young Scientists Committee, China Society of Natural Resources
5. Executive Chair of the 297th Young Scientists Forum of China Association for Science and Technology
6. Member of the Young Scientists Committee, China Hydraulic Engineering Society
7. Member of the Hydrogeography Committee, Geographical Society of China
Representative Research Projects in China:
1. Optimization of the mountain-water-forest-field-lake-grass system in Qilian Mountain: an integrated modeling study (2018-2023), founded by Strategic Priority Research Program of Chinese Academy of Sciences (XDA2010010404), as the PI
2. Shenzhen Municipal Engineering Lab of Environmental IoT Technologies (2018-2020), founded by Shenzhen Development and Reform Commission, as the PI
3. Water resources modeling and management (2017-2019), founded by NSFC Excellent Young Investigator Award project (No. 41622111), as the PI.
4. Water, energy and environment nexus of rivers in southwestern China and the system resilience (2017-2020), founded by NSFC (No. 91647201), as the Co-Investigator.
5. Spatial optimization for low impact development design (2017-2018), founded by Shenzhen science and Technology Innovation Committee (SSTIC)research project (No. JCYJ20160530190411804), as the PI
6. Nonpoint source pollution process of PAHs in urbanized areas: mechanism and modeling approach (2014-2017), funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (No. 41371473), as the PI.
7. System Behaviors and regulation of ecohydrological processes in the middle and lower Heihe River Basin (2013-2016), funded by NSFC (No. 91225301), as a Co-PI.
8. Integrated surface water and groundwater modeling for the Heihe Basin and its uncertainty (2012-2013), funded by NSFC (No. 91125021), as the PI.
9. Risk analysis and decision support for the development of circular economy at a regional scale (2012-2015), funded by China’s National Science & Technology Pillar Program (No. 2012BAC03B02), as a Co-PI.
10. Study on the uncertainty in distributed simulation of watershed nonpoint source pollution (2010-2012), funded by NSFC (No. 50909001), as the PI.
11. Integrated modeling and uncertainty analysis for water resources in coastal watersheds under the changing climate and land use (2010-2012), funded by NSFC (No. 50911130509), as a Co-PI.
12. Management of trans-jurisdictional water pollution in China (2009-2011), funded by China’s National Special Program on Water Pollution Control and Management (No. 2009ZX07632-001-05), as a Co-PI.
13. Heavy metal pollution management in the Xiangjiang River (2009-2011), funded by China’s National Special Program on Water Pollution Control and Management (No. 2009ZX07212-001-07), as a Co-PI.
14. Systematic assessment and decision-support approaches for the development of circular economy in China, funded by the National Science & Technology Pillar Program administrated by MOST (2009BAC64B02), as a Co-PI.
15. Barriers assessment and integrated policy development of critical energy-saving technologies promotion (2009-2010), funded by The China Sustainable Energy Program of The Energy Foundation (No. G-0911-11672), as the PI.
Representative Research/Consulting Projects in the U.S.:
1. Stormwater pollution prevention in the City of Duluth (01/2007-07/2007), funded by Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, as the chief modeler
2. Stochastic modeling and uncertainty assessment for watershed water quality management (dissertation research) (04/2005 – 12/2006), funded by UC Toxic Substances Research & Teaching Fellowship program, as the PI
3. Development of systematic uncertainty analysis for a watershed model (11/2003-12/2005), funded by Electric Power Research Institute, as a key member
4. Evaluating the potential impact of population growth in Southern California on water resources (07/2003-12/2004), funded California Department of Transportation, as a key member
5. Determination of loads and implementation plan for nutrients in the Santa Clara River (09/2002-12/2003), funded by Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board, as a key member
Selected Publications (*corresponding author):
1. Jiang S, Zheng Y*, Babovic V, Tian Y, Han F (2018). A computer vision-based approach to fusing spatiotemporal data for hydrological modeling, Journal of Hydrology, 567: 25-40.
2. Sun Z, Zheng Y*, Li X, Tian Y, Han F, Zhong Y, Liu J, Zheng C (2018). The Nexus of Water, Ecosystems, and Agriculture in Endorheic River Basins: A System Analysis Based on Integrated Ecohydrological Modeling, Water Resources Research, 54(10): 7534-7556.
3. Tian Y*, Xiong J, He X, Pi X, Jiang S, Han F, Zheng Y* (2018). Joint operation of surface water and groundwater reservoirs to address water conflicts in arid regions: An integrated modeling study, Water, 10(8), 1105.
4. Tian Y, Zheng Y*, Han F, Zheng C, Li X (2018). A comprehensive graphical modeling platform designed for integrated hydrological simulation, Environmental Modelling & Software, 108: 154–173.
5. Han F, Zheng Y* (2018). Joint analysis of input and parametric uncertainties in watershed water quality modeling: A formal Bayesian approach, Advances in Water Resources, 116: 77-94.
6. Qiu W, Shao H, Lei P, Zheng C, Qiu C, Yang M*, Zheng Y* (2018). Immunotoxicity of bisphenol S and F are similar to that of bisphenol A during zebrafish early development, Chemosphere, 194: 1-8.
7. Feng D, Zheng Y*, Mao Y, Zhang A, Wu B, Li J, Tian Y, Wu X (2018). An integrated hydrological modeling approach for detection and attribution of climatic and human impacts on coastal water resources, Journal of Hydrology, 557: 305-320.
8. Wu X, Zheng Y*, Zhang J, Wu B, Wang S, Tian Y, Li J, Meng X (2017). Investigating hydrochemical groundwater processes in an inland agricultural area with limited data: a clustering approach, Water, 9, 723; doi:10.3390/w9090723.
9. Li X, Zheng Y*, Sun Z, Tian Y, Zheng C, Liu J, Liu S, Xu Z (2017). An integrated ecohydrological modeling approach to exploring the dynamic interaction between groundwater and phreatophytes, Ecological Modelling, 356, 127-140.
10. Li J, Zheng Y*, Luo X, Lin Z, Zhang W, Wang X (2016). PAHs contamination in Beijing’s topsoil: a unique indicator of the megacity’s evolving energy consumption and environmental quality, Scientific Reports, 6: 33245.
11. Han F, Zheng Y* (2016). Multiple-response Bayesian calibration of watershed water quality models with significant input and model structure errors, Advances in Water Resources, 88, 109-123.
12. Zheng Y*, Luo X, Zhang W, Wu X, Zhang J, Han F (2016). Transport mechanisms of soil-bound mercury in the erosion process during rainfall-runoff events, Environmental Pollution, 215, 10-17.
13. Tian Y, Zheng Y*, Zheng C (2016). Development of a 3D visualization tool for integrated surface water and groundwater modeling, Computers & Geosciences, 86, 1-14.
14. Wu X, Zheng Y*, Wu B, et al. (2016). Optimizing conjunctive use of surface water and groundwater for irrigation to address human-nature water conflicts: a surrogate modeling approach, Agricultural Water Management, 163, 380-392.
15. Tian Y, Zheng Y*, Zheng C, et al. (2015). Exploring scale-dependent ecohydrological responses in a large endorheic river basin through integrated surface water-groundwater modeling, Water Resources Research, 51, 4065-4085, doi:10.1002/2015WR016881.
16. Zheng Y*, Han F (2015). Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) uncertainty analysis for watershed water quality modeling and management, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, doi:10.1007/s00477-015-1091-8.
17. Wu B, Zheng Y*, Wu X, et al. (2015). Optimizing water resources management in large river basins with integrated surface water-groundwater modeling: a surrogate-based approach, Water Resources Research, 51, 2153-2173..
18. Tian Y, Zheng Y*, Wu B, et al. (2015). Modeling surface water-groundwater interaction in arid and semi-arid regions with intensive agriculture, Environmental Modelling & Software, 63, 170-184.
19. Luo X, Zheng Y*, Lin Z, et al. (2015). Evaluating potential non-point source loading of PAHs from contaminated soils: A fugacity-based modeling approach, Environmental Pollution, 196, 1-11.
20. Wu B, Zheng Y*, Tian Y, et al. (2014). Systematic assessment of the uncertainty in integrated surface water-groundwater modeling based on the probabilistic collocation method, Water Resources Research, 50, 5848–5865.
21. Zheng Y*, Lin Z, Li H, et al. (2014). Assessing the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) pollution of urban stormwater runoff: A dynamic modeling approach, Science of the Total Environment, 481, 554–563.
22. Zheng Y*, Han F, Tian Y, et al. (2014). Addressing the uncertainty in modeling watershed nonpoint source pollution. In Jorgensen SE, Chang N and Xu F (Eds), Advances in ecological modelling and engineering - lakes and wetlands (Chapter 5, p113-p159). Elsevier, ISBN: 978-0-444-63249-4. (Book chapter)
23. Luo X, Zheng Y*, Wu B, et al. (2013). Impact of carbonaceous materials in soil on the transport of soil-bound PAHs during rainfall-runoff events, Environmental Pollution, 182, 233-241.
24. Wu B, Zheng Y* (2013). Assessing the value of information for water quality management: a watershed perspective from China, Environmental Monitoring & Assessment, 185, 3023-3035.
25. Zheng Y*, Luo X, Zhang W, et al. (2012). Enrichment behavior and transport mechanism of soil-bound PAHs during rainfall-runoff events, Environmental Pollution, 171, 85-92.
26. Zheng Y*, Wang W, Han F, et al. (2011). Uncertainty assessment for watershed water quality modeling: a Probabilistic Collocation Method based approach. Advances in Water Resources, 34, 887-898.
27. Zheng Y, Keller AA (2008). Stochastic watershed water quality simulation for TMDL development – a case study in Newport Bay watershed. Journal of American Water Resources Association, 44, 1397-1410.
28. Zheng Y, Keller AA (2007a). Uncertainty assessment in watershed-scale water quality modeling and management: 1. Framework and application of Generalized Likelihood Uncertainty Estimation (GLUE) approach. Water Resources Research, 43, doi:10.1029/2006WR005345.
29. Zheng Y, Keller AA (2007b). Uncertainty assessment in watershed-scale water quality modeling and management: 2. Management Objectives Constrained Analysis of Uncertainty (MOCAU). Water Resources Research, 43, doi:10.1029/2006WR005346.
30. Zheng Y, Keller AA (2006). Understanding parameter sensitivity and its management implications in watershed‐scale water quality modeling. Water Resources Research, 42, doi:10.1029/2005WR004539.
Honors and Awards:
1. Distinguished Teaching Award, Southern University of Science and Technology, 2017.
2. Distinguished Service Award, Southern University of Science and Technology, 2018.
3. NSFC Excellent Young Scholars Award (2016)
4. Overseas High-Caliber Personnel (Level B)，2017
5. Peking University’s Excellent Teaching Award (2014)
6. Peking University’s Fangzheng Award for excellent faculty (2011)
7. Annual Excellent Paper Award by Journal of Agro-Environment Science (China) (2010)
8. Second prize of the 6th Peking University’s Teaching Competition for Young Teachers (2008)
9. University of California’s Graduate Division Dissertation Fellowship (2006)
10 University of California’s Toxic Substances Research and Teaching Program Fellowship (2005)
11. Bren School Keller Water Quality Management Award, University of California, Santa Barbara (2005)
12. Dozier Fellowship, University of California, Santa Barbara (2002-2004)
1. American Water Resources Association (AWRA), since 2003
2. American Geophysical Union (AGU), since 2004
3. The Association of American Geographers (AAG), since 2010
4. The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), since 2017