Dr. Jinsong Bian is a full Professor and acting chair in the Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). Before joining in SUSTech, Dr. Bian was first appointed as an assistant professor (2003-2008) and then an Associate Professor with tenure (2009-2020) in the department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Ling School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore. He also served as the deputy director of Drug Development Unit of National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Research Director of Department of Pharmacologoy, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS in the period of 2016-2020.
Dr Bian earned his PhD degree from the University of Hong Kong and was awarded with the Dr KP Stephen Chang Gold Medal for the outstanding performance in the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in 2000. Dr Bian then went on to complete his post-doctoral training under an American Heart Association Fellowship at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, USA in 2003.
Dr Bian is an Associate Editor, lead guest editor and reviewing editor of 13 international journals, including Antioxidant Redox Signalling, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, Frontiers in Pharmacology. He has served as a panel member of the Singapore National Medical Research Council (since 2007) and is also a consultant Member of the Greece Society of Studying Cardiovascular Diseases (SOS-CVD) (since 2010). He serves as an advisory committee member of different societies or conferences, including the International and European Conferences on the Biology of Hydrogen Sulphide, and the Asian Society for Vascular Biology (ASVB). He has published over 130 papers in international journals including Cir Res， Science Advances, PNAS, JASN, Redox Biology, and has delivered over 70 lectures at the invitation of international and regional scientific societies, institutes and conference organizers. He has received 8410 citations （Google scholar） and his H-index is 50 （Google scholar）.
Therapeutic target for pulmonary hypertension; 2. Novel functions of Na+/K+ ATPase; 3. Biology of endogenous mediators (e.g. hydrogen sulfide).
1997-2000 Ph. D. Physiology, the University of Hong Kong.
1990-1993 M. Sci. Pharmacology, Nanjing Medical University, P. R. China.
1985-1990: MBBS Medicine, Xuzhou Medical University, P. R. China.
2020.5-present: Acting Chair and Professor in Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
2009.01-2020.4: Associate Professor (with Tenure), Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin school of Medicine, National University of Singapore
2003.10-2008.12:Assistant Professor in Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
2000.5—2003.9: Research Associate and AHA fellow in Section of Molecular Cardiology and Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, USA
1993.7 – 1997.3: Assistant Professor and lecturer in Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Science, Nanjing Medical University, China
Honors & Awards
2017 Research Excellence Award (AY2015/2016), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National university of Singapore
2001 AHA fellowship, American Heart Association, New York affiliate
2000 Dr. KP Stephen Chang Gold Medal, the University of Hong Kong
2000 Mary Sun Scholarship 1999/2000, the University of Hong Kong
1999 Wong Ching Yee Medical Postgraduate Scholarship, the University of Hong Kong
1999 Prof. A.C. Brown Prize, the 7th Physiology Annual Meeting
1998 Certificate of Merit, the University of Hong Kong.
2010-present Review Editor & Editorial Board Member, Frontiers in Pharmacology
2010-Present Review Editor and Editorial Board Member: Frontiers in Clinical and Translational Physiology
2011-present: Editorial board member, Journal of Pharmacological Sciences
2015-2016: Reviewing Editor, Antioxidant Redox Signalling
2015-2016: Lead guest editor, Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
2010-2011 Associate Editorship, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
2010-2012 Editorial Board Member, Biomed Central-Medical Gas Research
2009-present Editorial Board Member, World Journal of Cardiology
2010-present Lead guest editor, Journal Biochemistry Research International
2011-present：Editorial board member: World Journal of Hypertension
2010-present Editorial Board Member, Journal of Geriatric Cardiology
2013-2018 Editor Board Member, Journal of Zhongshan University
Selected publications since 2020
1. Cao L, Xiong S, Wu Z, Ding L, Zhou Y, Sun H, Zhu M, Lee WT, Nie X*, Bian JS*. Anti-Na+/K+ -ATPase immunotherapy ameliorates α-Synuclein pathology through activation of Na+/K+ -ATPase α1-dependent autophagy. Science Advances, 2021 Jan 27;7(5):eabc5062. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abc5062. [IF:14.136]
2. Sun H, Xiong S, Cao X, Cao L, Zhu M, Wu Z, Bian JS*. Polysulfide-mediated sulfhydration of SIRT1 prevents diabetic nephropathy by suppressing phosphorylation and acetylation of p65NF-κB and STST3. Redox Biology. 2021 Jan;38:101813. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2020.101813. [IF:11.779]
3. Sun HJ, Wu ZY, Nie XW, Bian JS*. Implications of hydrogen sulfide in liver pathophysiology: mechanistic insights and therapeutic potential. Journal of Advanced Research, 2020 Jan; 27:127-135. [IF: 10.479]
4. Nie X*, Shen C, Tan J, Wu Z, Wang W, Chen Y ,Dai Y, Yang X, Ye S, Chen J, Bian JS*. Periostin: A Potential Therapeutic Target For Pulmonary Hypertension? Circulation Research, 2020 Oct 9;127(9):1138-1152. [IF:17.367]
5. Zhu M, Cao L, Xiong S, Sun H, Wu Z, Bian JS. Na+/K+-ATPase-dependent autophagy protects brain against ischemic injury. Signal Transduction and Targeted Therapy. 2020 May 20;5(1):55. doi: 10.10382./s41392-020-0153-7. [IF: 18.187]
6. Cao X, Cao L, Zhang W, Lu R, Bian JS*, Nie X*. Therapeutic potential of sulfur-containing natural products in inflammatory diseases. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2020 Dec; 10.1016/j.pharmthera.2020.107687. [IF:12.31]
7. Sun HJ, Xiong SP, Wu ZY, Cao L, Zhu MY, Moore PK, Bian JS. Induction of caveolin 3/eNOS complex by nitroxyl (HNO) ameliorates diabetic cardiomyopathy. Redox Biology, 2020, Mar 5;32:101493. doi: 10.10164./j.redox.2020.101493. [IF: 11.799]
8. Sun HJ, Cao L, Zhu MY, Wu ZY, Shen CY, Nie XW, Bian JS*. DR-region of Na+/K+-ATPase is a target to ameliorate hepatic insulin resistance in obese diabetic mice. Theranostics. 2020 May 15;10(14):6149-6166. doi: 10.71505./thno.46053. eCollection 2020. [IF: 11.556]
9. Sun HJ, Wu ZY, Cao L, Zhu MY, Nie XW, Huang DJ, Sun MT, Bian JS*.Role of nitroxyl (HNO) in cardiovascular system: From biochemistry to pharmacology. Pharmacol Res. 2020 May 29;159:104961. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2020.104961.7. [IF: 7.658]
10. Sun HJ, Lee WT, Leng B, Wu ZY, Yang Y, Bian JS. Nitroxyl as a Potential Theranostic in the Cancer Arena. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2020 Feb 10;32(5):331-349. doi: 10.1089/ars.2019.7904. [IF: 8.401]