Dr. Quanying Liu, joined Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) in September 2019, as an Assistant Professor of the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Doctoral Supervisor, PI of Neural Computing and Control Laboratory (NCC lab). Before joining SUSTech, Quanying obtained her PhD degree from ETH Zurich and received postdoctoral training at Caltech.
Quanying's research focuses on interactions among neuroscience, machine learning and control theory, including multi-modal neural signal processing (EEG, sEEG, fMRI, DTI), AI for neuroscience (explainable AI to interpret the structure and function of the brain), optimization for neuromodulation (tES, TMS, electrical stimulation).
Quanying has published over 50 research articles in top journals/conferences such as PNAS, Neuroimage, Neural Networks, Neurocomputing, HBM, JNE, IJNS, JBHI. Her work has been cited more than 1400 times, with an H factor of 19. She is the associate editor of IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine (JTEHM).
For anyone who is interested in joining NCC lab, please feel free to email me.
2013-2017 PhD in Biomedical Engineering, ETH Zurich, Switzerland (Doctoral thesis: “Brain Network Imaging based on High-density Electroencephalography”. Supervisors: Dr. Nicole Wenderoth and Dr. Dante Mantini)
2010-2013 Master in Computer Science, Lanzhou University, China
2006-2010 Undergraduate in Electrical Engineering, Lanzhou University, China
2019-present Assistant Professor in Department of Biomedical Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology (PI of Neural Computing & Control lab)
2017-2019 Postdoctoral Scholar in Department of Computing and Mathematical Sciences (CMS), California Institute of Technology (Principal Investigator: Dr. John Doyle)
2017-2019 Independent researcher in Neurosciences, Huntington Medical Research Institute, US
2016-2017 Visiting Scholar in Research Center for Motor Control and Neuroplasticity, KU Leuven, Belgium
2016.10 Late-Summer School on Non-Invasive Brain Stimulation, University Medical Center Freiburg, Germany
2014-2015 Visiting Scholar in Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, UK
Grants and Fellowships
2018-2021 FWO Postdoctoral Fellowship (3 years)
2017-2019 Boswell Postdoctoral Fellowship ($54,075+$7,000 per annum for 2 years)
2015-2017 Swiss National Science Foundation for Doc.Mobility grant (45,500 CHF for one year)
2014-2015 Swiss National Science Foundation for Mobility grant (19,510 CHF for one year)
Awards and Scholarships
AAIC travel award (2019);
Estes Stars Award (2018);
Excellent Graduate Student Scholarship in China (2013);
IBM China Scholarship (2013);
Journal Publications (including pre-print)
1) Liang, Zhichao, Zixiang Luo, Keyin Liu, Jingwei Qiu, and Quanying Liu. "Online Learning Koopman operator for closed-loop electrical neurostimulation in epilepsy." IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (J-BHI) (in press).
2) Yin, Wanguang, Youzhi Qu, Zhengming Ma, and Quanying Liu. "HyperNTF: A Hypergraph Regularized Nonnegative Tensor Factorization for Dimensionality Reduction." Neurocomputing (in press).
3) Yu, Junjie, Chenyi Li, Kexin Lou, Chen Wei, and Quanying Liu. "Embedding decomposition for artifacts removal in EEG signals." Journal of Neural Engineering 19, no. 2 (2022): 026052.
4) Jin, Tian, Weizhi Qi, Xiao Liang, Heng Guo, Quanying Liu*, and Lei Xi*. "Photoacoustic Imaging of Brain Functions: Wide Filed‐of‐View Functional Imaging with High Spatiotemporal Resolution." Laser & Photonics Reviews 16, no. 2 (2022): 2100304.
5) Ran, Xuming, Mingkun Xu, Lingrui Mei, Qi Xu, and Quanying Liu. "Detecting out-of-distribution samples via variational auto-encoder with reliable uncertainty estimation." Neural Networks 145 (2022): 199-208.
6) Li, Xiaohe, Liwen Wu, Youzhi Qu, Mengli Cao, Jiaqi Feng, Hua Huang, Yi Liu, Hongzhou Lu*, Quanying Liu*, and Yingxia Liu*. "Clinical characteristics and vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 Omicron subvariant BA. 2 in the children." Signal transduction and targeted therapy 7, no. 1 (2022): 1-3.
7) Zheng, Shuhan, Zhichao Liang, Youzhi Qu, Qingyuan Wu, Haiyan Wu, and Quanying Liu. "Kuramoto Model-Based Analysis Reveals Oxytocin Effects on Brain Network Dynamics." International Journal of Neural Systems 32, no. 02 (2022): 2250002.
8) Zhang, Haoming, Mingqi Zhao, Chen Wei, Dante Mantini, Zherui Li, and Quanying Liu. "EEGdenoiseNET: A benchmark dataset for deep learning solutions of EEG denoising." Journal of Neural Engineering 18, no. 5 (2021): 056057.
9) Nakahira Y, Liu Q, Sejnowski T, Doyle J.C. (2021), Diversity-enabled sweet spots in layered architectures and speed-accuracy trade-offs in sensorimotor control, PNAS
10) Jie Yuan, Xuming Ran, Keyin Liu, Chen Yao, Yi Yao, Haiyan Wu, Quanying Liu*. (2021). Machine Learning Applications on Neuroimaging for Diagnosis and Prognosis of Epilepsy: A Review, Journal of Neuroscience Methods
11) Yin W, Ma Z, Liu Q*. (2021), Riemannian-based Discriminant Analysis for Feature Extraction and Classification, arXiv:2101.08032
12) Zheng S, Punia D, Wu H*, Liu Q*, (2021). Graph theoretic analysis reveals intranasal oxytocin induced network changes over frontal regions, Neuroscience, https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.22.393561v2 (* corresponding author)
13) X Ran*, M Xu, Q Xu, H Zhou, Liu Q*. (2020), Bigeminal Priors Variational auto-encoder, arXiv:2010.01819
14) Y Liu, J Liu, D Chen, X Wang, Z Zhang, Y Yang, L Jiang, W Qi, Z Ye, S He, Q Liu, L Xi, Y Zou, C Wu*, (2021). Fluorination Enhances NIR‐II Fluorescence of Polymer Dots for Quantitative Brain Tumor Imaging, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 59 (47), 21049-21057
15) Xue-Rui Peng, Yun-Rui Liu, Xu Lei, Quanying Liu*, Jing Yu*. (2020), Deciphering age differences in experience-based decision making: The role of sleep, Nature and Science of sleep, 12, 679-691, (* corresponding author)
16) Liu Q, Yorie Nakahira, Zhichao Liang, Ahkeel Mohideen, Adam Dai, Sung Hoon Choi, Angelina Pan, Dimitar M. Ho, John C. Doyle, (2020). WheelCon: A Wheel Control-Based Gaming Platform for Studying Human Sensorimotor Control, Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE)
17) Wu H, Feng C, Lu X, Liu X, Liu Q#, (2020). Oxytocin effects on the resting-state mentalizing brain network, Brain Imaging and Behavior (# corresponding author)
18) Wei S, Liu Q, Harrington M.G, Sun J, Wu H, Liu X (2019). Nonconformist tendencies related to risky choices in female methamphetamine abstainers, The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 1-10
19) Samogin J#, Liu Q#, Marino M, Wenderoth N, Mantini D. (2019), Shared and connection-specific intrinsic interactions in the default mode network, NeuroImage (2019) 474–481 (# equal contribution)
20) Marino M#, Liu Q#, Samogin J, Tecchio F, Mantini D, Porcaro C (2019). Neuronal dynamics enable the functional differentiation of resting state networks in the human brain, Human Brain Mapping, 40(5):1445-1457. (# equal contribution)