Yao Mingxi is currently a tenure-track assistant professor in the BME department, SUSTech. His research interests lie in the molecular mechanisms of mechanosensing in health and disease, utilizing diverse techniques such as single molecule manipulation, nano fabrication and advanced bioimaging. Dr Yao has studied the working principle of several important mechanosensing proteins and uncovered novel force-dependent crosstalk between mechanosensitive ion channels and focal adhesions that relates to neoplastic transformation.
2009-2014 National University of Singapore PhD in Mechanobiology (Supervisor: Dr Jie Yan)
2005-2009 National University of Singapore Bachelor of Science (Honors) in Computational Biology
2021-至今 Department of Biomedical Engineering, SUSTech Assistant Professor
2016-2021 Mechanobiology Institute, NUS Research Fellow (Supervisor: Dr Michael Sheetz)
2015-2016 Mechanobiology Institute, NUS Research Associate
2014 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad
2010 Merlion PhD Scholarship
2003 Singapore Government SM2 Undergraduate Scholarship
(1) Yao, Mingxi#; Qiu, Wu#; Liu, Ruchuan; Efremov, Artem K; Cong, Peiwen; Seddiki, Rima; Payre, Manon; Lim, Chwee Teck; Ladoux, Benoit; Mège, René-Marc*; Yan, Jie*; Force-dependent conformational switch of α-catenin controls vinculin binding , Nature Communications, 2014, 5(4525).
(2) Yao, Mingxi#; Goult, Benjamin T#; Klapholz, Benjamin; Hu, Xian; Toseland, Christopher P; Guo, Yingjian; Cong, Peiwen; Sheetz, Michael P*; Yan, Jie*; The mechanical response of talin., Nature Communications, 2016, 7(1): 0-11966.
(3) Yao, Mingxi#; Goult, Benjamin T#; Chen, Hu; Cong, Peiwen; Sheetz, Michael P*; Yan, Jie*; Mechanical activation of vinculin binding to talin locks talin in an unfolded conformation, Scientific Reports, 2014, 4(4610).
(4) Le, Shimin#; Yao, Mingxi#; Chen, Jin; Efremov, Artem K; Azimi, Sara; Yan, Jie*; Disturbance-free rapid solution exchange for magnetic tweezers single-molecule studies, Nucleic Acids Research, 2015, 43(17): e113.
(5) Yao, Mingxi; Chen, Hu; Yan, Jie*; Thermodynamics of force-dependent folding and unfolding of small protein and nucleic acid structures, Integrative Biology, 2015, 7(10): 1154-1160.