Dr. Bo Zhang currently serves as Associate Professor at the Department of Biomedical Engineering (2021-present). Dr. Zhang received his Bachelor degree from College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University in 2010. He received his PhD degree from Department of Chemistry, Stanford University in 2015. Dr. Zhang has accumulated over 30 high-profile publication, including two 1st/corresponding author paper on Nature Medicine. His work has been cited over 5700 times (Google Scholar), with H index of 25. Dr. Zhang has served as principal investigator for 3 NIH projects totaling 1.9 Million USD, to overcome challenges in disease diagnostics. He has cofounded Apostle Inc., a biotechnology company in Silicon Valley, California. The diagnostic product Dr. Zhang developed has entered global distribution agreement with leading medical device company Beckman, and has served over 10 million patients.
2006-2010 College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University Bachelor of Science Supervisor: Prof. Jin Zhang, Fellow of CNAS
2010-2015 Department of Chemistry, Stanford University Ph.D. Supervisor: Prof. Hongjie Dai, Fellow of NAS, NAM and AAAS
2021-present Department of Biomedical Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Associate Professor
2017-2021 Apostle Inc., Cofounder
2017-2021 School of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Southern University of Science and Technology, Research Associate Professor
2016-2017 Nirmidas Biotech., Director
Honor and awards
2017 Forbes China 30 under 30
2015 Fellowship for Chinese Student Study Abroad
2014 Materials Research Society Silver Award
2013 Mona M. Burgess Fellow, Stanford University
2010 William S. Johnson Fellow, Stanford University
Academic Part-time Position
2021- Present Director of Shenzhen society of Biomedical Engineering
2021- Present Member of the collaborative network of healthy young scholars in the Bay Area
2021- Present Review expert of Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Committee
Dr. Bo Zhang’s research group embrace interdisciplinary research crossing chemistry, materials science, biomedical engineering and other frontiers. The group is keen to explore application in disease diagnostics, covering sample preparation, biomarker preservation and enrichment, high resolution biomarker selection, high-throughput protein/nucleic acid detection, diagnosis of autoimmune disease/infectious disease/cancer/NIPT. Biomedical engineering is the core development direction of the humankind for the next decade, and is the trend of industry. Dr. Zhang’s group will focus on the exploration of relationship between the code of life and its function, and to utilize the relationship to create. On the industry side, Zhang’s group will be active in facilitating the integration between biotechnology, internet and the internet of things.
1. B. Zhang (1st and Corresponding author), S. Zhao, H. Wan, Y. Liu, F. Zhang, X. Guo, W. Zeng, H. Zhang, L. Zeng, J. Qu, B. Wu, X. Wan, C.R. Cantor and D. Ge. “High-resolution DNA size enrichment using a magnetic nanoplatform and application in non-invasive prenatal testing” Analyst, 145, 5685, 2020. (Cover Art)
2. Bo Zhang (1st and Corresponding author), Benjamin A. Pinsky, Jeyarama S. Ananta, Su Zhao, Shylaja Arulkumar, Hao Wan, Malaya K. Sahoo, Janaki Abeynayake, Jesse J. Waggoner, Clay Hopes, Meijie Tang and Hongjie Dai. “Diagnosis of Zika virus infection on a nanotechnology platform” Nature Medicine, 23, 548, 2017.
3. Christelle Pomares, Bo Zhang (co-1st and Corresponding author), Shylaja Arulkumar, Geraldine Gonfrier, Pierre Marty, Su Zhao, Steven Cheng, Meijie Tang, Hongjie Dai and Jose Montoya. “Validation of IgG, IgM multiplex plasmonic gold platform in French clinical cohorts for the serodiagnosis and follow up of Toxoplasma gondii infection” Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease, 87, 213, 2017.
4. Bo Zhang, Rajiv Kumar, Hongjie Dai and Brian Feldman. “A plasmonic Chip for Biomarker Discovery and Diagnosis of Type-1 Diabetes” Nature Medicine, 20, 948, 2014.
5. Bo Zhang, Jiang Yang, Yingping Zou, Ming Gong, Hui Chen, Guosong Hong, Alexander L. Antaris, Xiaoyang Li, Chien-Liang Liu, Changxin Chen and Hongjie Dai. “Plasmonic micro-beads for fluorescence enhanced, multiplexed protein detection with flow cytometry” Chemical Science, 5, 4070, 2014.