Chuan He obtained his B.S. degree in Chemistry from the College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, China in 2008. Then he began his graduate study at the same university under the supervision of Prof. Aiwen Lei, where his research focused on transition-metal-catalyzed coupling reaction and mechanistic investigation. After completing his Ph.D. in 2013, he joined Prof. Matthew Gaunt’s group as a postdoctoral researcher and Marie Curie Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge, UK, where his research focuses on transition-metal-catalyzed C–H bond functionalization of aliphatic amines and development of a novel methionine selective bioconjugation method. In 2018,joined Southern University of Science and Technology as an associate professor to start his independent research career.
Research interests include:
1. developing highly selective and efficient transition-metal-catalyzed inert chemical bond functionalization and mechanistic investigation;
2. development of new catalytic methods for the activation of small molecules; 3. designing and developing novel bioconjugation and bio-orthogonal reactions.
We are always looking for talented, self-motivated and creative individuals with interests in any of the following areas: transition metal catalysis, synthesis, small molecules activation, bioconjugation and bio-orthogonal chemistry, and organo-material chemistry. If you are interested in joining the group, please contact me directly.
1) He, C.; Gaunt, M. J. Ligand-Assisted Palladium-Catalyzed C–H Alkenylation of Aliphatic Amines for the Synthesis of Functionalized Pyrrolidines, Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 3586–3592.
2) He, C.; Gaunt, M. J. Ligand-Enabled Catalytic C–H Arylation of Aliphatic Amines by a Four-Membered-Ring Cyclopalladation Pathway, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 15840–15844.
3) He, C.; Ke, J.; Xu, H.; Lei, A. Synergistic Catalysis in the Sonogashira Coupling Reaction: Quantitative Kinetic Investigation of Transmetalation, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 1527–1530.
4) He, C.; Zhang, G.; Ke, J.; Zhang, H.; Miller, J. T.; Kropf, A. J.; Lei, A. Labile Cu(I)-Catalyst/Spectator Cu(II)-Species in Copper-Catalyzed C–C Coupling Reaction: Operando IR, In situ XANES/EXAFS Evidence and Kinetic Investigations, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 488–493.
5) He, C.; Guo, S.; Ke, J.; Hao, J.; Xu, H.; Chen, H.; Lei, A. Silver-Mediated Oxidative C–H/C–H Functionalization: A Strategy To Construct Polysubstituted Furans, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 5766–5769.