Jiangjun Ran obtained his doctoral degree from Delft University of Technology in 2017. Then he moved to Hong Kong and worked at Chinese University of Hong Kong as a postdoctoral fellow. From Dec. 2018, he has been working at Southern University of Science and Technology as an assistant professor. His research interests are space Geodesy, satellite gravimetry, Earth's surface mass transportation, temporal and static gravity field determination using GRACE and GRACE-FO data, etc. By far, he has published 16 SCI papers in high-ranking journals, including The Cryosphere, Journal of Geodesy, Geophysical Journal International，Journal of Geodynamics, Remote Sensing, Marine Geophysical Research, etc. Among them, 9 papers are published as the first/corresponding author. Furthermore, he serves as a reviewer of Journal of Geodesy，Remote Sensing of Environment, etc.
2011-2017, PhD in satellite gravimetry, Delft University of Technology
2008-2014, PhD in space Geodesy, the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
2004-2008, Bachelor in Surveying and Mapping Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University
2018.12 - Present Assistant Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
2017.08 - 2018.12 Guest researcher, Delft University of Technology
2018.02 - 2018.10 Postdoctoral Fellow, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
2011.11 - 2017.07 Research Assistant, Delft University of Technology
Earth's surface mass transportation observed by space based geodetic technologies (e.g., satellite gravimetry, altimetry and InSAR)
The design of China’s next generation satellite gravity mission
Temporal and static gravity field determination using GRACE and GRACE-FO data
Orbit determination of low-orbit satellites using GPS, Compass and Galileo
We are looking for new PhD students / visiting students / postdoc to join the team.
Jiangjun Ran, Min Zhong, Houze Xu. 2015. Expected Accuracy and Requirement Analysis of China’s Future Satellite Gravity Mission (Ed.), GRACE Follow-On in China: Space advance gravity measurement program (pp. 1-14). Saarbrücken : LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing
Journal Articles (* for corresponding author; # for group members, e.g., students, postdocs)
26. Jiangjun Ran, Pavel Ditmar. 2021. Analysis and mitigation of biases in Greenland ice sheet mass balance trend estimates from GRACE mascon products. Journal of Geophysical Research Solid Earth. In press
25. X Wan, W Han, J Ran, W Ma, RF Annan, B Li. 2021. Seafloor density contrast derived from gravity and shipborne depth observations: A case study in a local area of Atlantic Ocean. Frontiers in Earth Science 9, 303.
24. L Cai, X Wan, H Hsu, J Ran, X Meng, Z Luo, Z Zhou. 2021. The earth’s gravity field recovery using the third invariant of the gravity gradient tensor from GOCE. Scientific Reports 11 (1), 1-13.
23. X Wan, J Yu, L Liang, J Ran, RF Annan. 2021. Analysis of limitations on recovery of gravity field based on satellite gravity gradient data. Geodesy and Geodynamics 12 (1), 31-42.
22. W. Liu#, X. Chen#, Jiangjun Ran*, et al. 2020. A Novel Lightweight Multi-Task CNN for Automatically Extracting Lake Area and Shoreline from Remote Sensing Images. Remote Sensing. In press
21. X. Deng#, Jiangjun Ran*. 2020. Comment on"Integral formulas for transformation of potential field parameters in geosciences". Earth-Science Reviews. In press
20. X Yang, S Tian, W Feng,Jiangjun Ran, W You, Z Jiang, X Gong. 2020. Spatio-Temporal Evaluation of Water Storage Trends from Hydrological Models over Australia Using GRACE Mascon Solutions. Remote Sensing 12 (21), 3578.
19. Jiangjun Ran, Natt Tangdamrongsub. Xiaoyun Wan. 2020. The impact of error covariance matrix structure of GRACE’s gravity solution on the mass flux estimates of Greenland Ice Sheet . Advances in Space Researches. Accepted.
18. Groh, A.; Horwath, M.; Horvath, A.; Meister, R.; Sørensen, L.S.; Barletta, V.R.; Forsberg, R.; Wouters, B.; Ditmar, P.; Jiangjun Ran; Klees, R.; Su, X.; Shang, K.; Guo, J.; Shum, C.K.; Schrama, E.; Shepherd, A. 2019. Evaluating GRACE Mass Change Time Series for the Antarctic and Greenland Ice Sheet—Methods and Results. Geosciences 2019, 9, 415.
17. Yao-Chong Sun, Makoto Uyeshima, Hengxin Ren, Qinghua Huang, Koki Aizawa, Kaori Tsukamoto, Wataru Kanda, Kaori Seki, Takahiro Kishita, Takao Ohminato, Atsushi Watanabe, Jiangjun Ran and Xiaofei Chen. 2019. Numerical simulations to explain the coseismic electromagnetic signals: a case study for a M5.4 aftershock of the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake. Earth Planets Space 71, 143 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40623-019-1122-7
16. Yang, Y., Li, F., Hwang, C., Ding, M., Jiangjun Ran. 2019. Space‐time evolution of Greenland Ice Sheet elevation and mass from Envisat and GRACE data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface,124.
15. Jiangjun Ran, Miren Vizcaino, Pavel Ditmar, Michiel R. van den Broeke, Twila Moon, Ellyn M. Enderlin, Bert Wouters and Roland Klees. 2018. Seasonal mass variations show timing and magnitude of meltwater storage in the Greenland ice sheet, The Cryosphere. 12(9), 2981-2999, doi:10.5194/tc-12-2981-2018.
14. Jiangjun Ran, Pavel Ditmar, Roland Klees et al. 2018. Statistically optimal estimation of Greenland Ice Sheet mass variations from GRACE monthly solutions using an improved mascon approach, Journal of Geodesy. 92(3), 299-319, doi:10.1007/s00190-017-1063-5.
13. Jiangjun Ran, Pavel Ditmar, Roland Klees et al. 2018. Optimal mascon geometry in estimating mass anomalies within Greenland from GRACE. Geophysical Journal International. 214(3), 2133–2150.
12. Jiangjun Ran, Xiaoyun Wan. 2018. GRACE observed mass loss in the middle and lower Yangtze basin, Geodesy and Geodynamics. Accepted.
11. Pavel Ditmar, Natt Tangdamrongsub, Jiangjun Ran*, Roland Klees. 2018. Estimation and reduction of random noise in mass anomaly time-series from satellite gravity data by minimization of month-to-month year-to-year double differences, Journal of Geodynamics. 119, 9-22, doi.org/10.1016/j.jog.2018.05.003.
10. Xiaoyun Wan, Jiangjun Ran*, Shuanggen Jin. 2018. Sensitivity analysis of gravity anomalies and gradient data for bathymetry inversion. Marine Geophysical research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s 11001-018 -9361-8
9. Xiaoyun Wan, Jiangjun Ran*, Jinhai Yu, Xiangchao Meng. 2018. An alternative method to improve gravity field models by incorporating GOCE gradient data. Earth Sciences Research Journal. 22(3), In press.
8. Tangdamrongsub, N., Han, S. C., Tian, S., Müller Schmied, H., Sutanudjaja, E. H., Jiangjun Ran, Feng, W. 2018. Evaluation of Groundwater Storage Variations Estimated from GRACE Data Assimilation and State-of-the-Art Land Surface Models in Australia and the North China Plain. Remote Sensing, 10(3), 483. doi:10.3390/rs10030483
7. Jiangjun Ran, Min Zhong, Houze Xu et al. 2015. Analysis of the gravity field recovery accuracy from the low-low satellite-to-satellite tracking mission. Chinese Journal of Geophysics- Chinese Edition, 58(10): 3487-3495, doi: 10.6038/cjg20151005
6. Jiangjun Ran, Min Zhong, Houze Xu et al. 2014. Global temporal gravity field recovery using GRACE data. Chinese Journal of Geophysics- Chinese Edition, 57(4): 1032-1040, doi:10.6038/cjg 20140402
5. Changqing Wang, Houze Xu, Min Zhong, Wei Feng, Jiangjun Ran, Fan Yang. 2015. An investigation on GRACE temporal gravity field recovery using the dynamic approach. Chinese Journal of Geophysics- Chinese Edition, 58(3): 756-766, doi: 10.6038/cjg20150306
4. Changqing Wang, Houze Xu, Min Zhong, Jiangjun Ran, Jiangjun Chun. 2015. A study on the effect of ocean tides error in GRACE temporal gravity field recovery. Chinese Journal of Geophysics- Chinese Edition, 58(9): 3072-3079, doi: 10.6038/cjg20150905
3. Ziren Luo, Min Zhong, Xing Bian, Peng Dong, Yuhui Dong, Wei Gao, Hongyin Li, Yuqiong Li, Heshan Liu, Jiangjun Ran, Mingxue Shao, Wenlin Tang, Peng Xu, Gang Jin. Mapping Earth's gravity in space: Review and future perspective. Advances in Mechanics, 44(1): 291-337. doi:10.6052/ 1000-0992-14-047
2. Jiangjun Ran, Houze Xu et al. 2012. Expected accuracy of the global gravity field for next GRACE satellite gravity mission. Chinese Journal of Geophysics- Chinese Edition, 55(9): 2898-2908, doi: 10.6038/j.issn.0001- 5733.2012.09.009
1. Wei You, Yunzhong Shen, Dongmin Fan, Jiangjun Ran. 2010. The algorithm of Earth's gravitational field recovery based on satellite's orbital perturbation theory. Chinese Journal of Geophysics- Chinese Edition, 53(11): 2574-2581, doi: 10.3969/j.issn.0001-5733.2010.11.005.