Dr. REN Huan is Professor at School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology. She received her Master’s degree of Immunology in 1997 and her Ph.D in Neuroscience from University of Liverpool, UK in 2005, before she completed postdoctoral training at School of Pharmacology, Harbin Medical University. From 2006 to 2018, she served as Professor & Head & Director in Department of Immunology at Harbin Medical University, and was appointed as the Leading Scientist among Immunology Experts in Heilongjiang Province. She is a board member of Chinese Society of Immunology, the Associate Editor with Journal of International Immunology; and a reviewer for National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) and Poland National Grant, and for Ph.D Dissertations appointed by the Ministry of Education. She teaches several courses related to Medical Immunology, and is the Chief Editor or an author for 10 Immunology text books and 9 other academic books. Dr. Ren has finished several research projects funded by NSFC and received several awards including a 1st Class Award in Science and Technology nominated by the Ministry of Education and World Health Organization Fellowship etc. She has trained about 45 Master’s degree students and 15 Ph.D students and postdoctoral fellows in related research. Her research focuses on the mechanisms and strategies on Tumor microenvironmental factor-targeted immuno- & bio-therapies. She has published over 50 peer-reviewed papers in academic journals including Nuclear Acid Research, Neuro-oncology, Cell Death & Differentiation, Mol Cancer Ther, BMC Immunology etc.
1991.06-1994.09 Dept. Neuroscience, The First Hospital Harbin City, China, Clinical Nursing Practitioner
1997.06-2019.01 Dept. Immunology Harbin Medical University, China, Lecturer, Associate Professor (2002-), Professor (2005-)
2001.04-2001.10 Dept. Cellular & Molecular Biology, Oxford Brooke University，UK, WHO Research Fellow
2001.10-2004.10 Liverpool University, Dept. Neuroscience, School of Medicine, UK, Research Associates
2006.06-2019.01 Director, Dept. Immunology Harbin Medical University, China；The Academic Leader of Immunologists in Heilongjiang Province, China（2008-2019）
2007.12-2009.12 Dept. Pharmacology Harbin Medical University, China, Postdoc
2015.04-2015.10 Dept. Pharmacology, University of California San Diego, USA, Visiting Professor
2019.01-present School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology, Professor (Teaching), PhD student Supervisor
1986.09-1991.06 Chinese Medical University, China, Bachelor Degree of Medicine
1994.09-1997.06 Harbin Medical University China, Master Degree of Immunology
2000.09-2003.06 Harbin Medical University China, PhD in Immunology
2001.09-2005.12 University of Liverpool, UK, PhD in Neuroscience
Academic Joint Positions:
Board Member, Chinese Society of Immunology (CSI)
Supervisor, Bioinformatics Society Heilongjiang Province
Associate Editor International Journal of Immunology
Editor Academic Journal of Harbin Medical University
Reviewer Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
Reviewer Academic Degree and Postgraduate Education, the Administration of China
Reviewer Natural Science Grant of Poland
Reviewer Neuro-oncology, PloS One, Cancer letters, BMC cancer, etc.
Recent Research Projects as Principle Investigator & Awards
- M1/M2 macrophage polarization in the establishment of tumor microcirculation in liver metastases；NSFC-81871993; 2019-2022
- EGFR activation with the loss of tumor suppressors mediates adaptation to tumor microenvironment to promote glioblastoma malignant progression; NSFC-81472367, 2015-2018
- Role of cooperated EGFR activation and PTEN loss mediated Immune-inflammatory network in glioblastoma malignant progression; NSFC-91229112, 2013-2015
- Multi-modality of targeted therapy on EGFR/PI3K signaling pathways in glioblastoma; NSFC-30227738, 2008-2010
- Molecular targeted therapy in malignant brain tumors: mechanisms and clinical applications; Key project, Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province; ZD200804-01, 2009-2011
- Molecular targeted therapy on EGFR/PI3K signaling pathways in glioblastoma; The Administration of Education PhD academic discipline construction foundation in Higher Education; 20092307110006）2009-2011
- Interaction of Immune cells and neural tissues in the relapsing stage of Experimental Autoimmune Uveitis，The Administration of Education CHUNHUI plans; Z2010003, 2011-2012
- The molecular classifications of malignant glioma based on EGFR/PI3K signaling pathways，China Postdoc Foundation, Special Plans; 200902417, 2007-2010
- In vitro and In vivo the proliferation and anti-tumor activities of Cytokine-Induced Killer cells; First Award, Best articles in 20th Anniversary Chinese Journal of Tumor Biotherapy; 2015
- Mechanisms and functions of molecular interactions of PDGFR/EGFR signaling pathways in malignant glioma; 2nd Awards, Harbin City Science and Technology Improvement Award; 2010; Heilongjiang Province Science and Technology Improvement Awards; 2011
- Series of anti-tumor biotherapeutic studies: from labs to clinical application. The 1st Award, The Administration of Education nominated, National Science and Technology Improvement Awards; 2006
Academic Journal Publications (*responding author)
1) Sun Y, Teng Z, Sun X, Zhang L, Chen J, Wang B, Lu F, Liu N, Yu M, Peng S, Wang Y, Zhao D, Zhao Y, Ren H, Cheng Z, Dong S, Lu F, Zhang W. Exogenous H2S reduces the acetylation levels of mitochondrial respiratory enzymes via regulating the NAD+-SIRT3 pathway in cardiac tissues of db/db mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2019;317(2):E284-E297
2) Sun Q, Pei C, Li Q, Dong T, Dong Y, Xing W, Zhou P, Gong Y, Zhen Z, Gao Y, Xiao Y, Su J, Ren H*. Up-regulation of MSH6 is associated with temozolomide resistance in human glioblastoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018; 496 (4): 1040-1046.
3) Sun CH, Zou MY, Li L, Li DX, Ma YJ, Xia W, Wu LJ*, Ren H* Association study between inwardly rectifying potassium channels 2.1 and 4.1 and autism spectrum disorders. Life Sciences 2018; 213: 183
4) Jiao H, Ren H* The effects of vasoactive intestinal peptide in the rat model of experimental autoimmune neuritis and the implications for treatment of acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy or Guillain–Barré syndrome Drug Des Devel Ther 2018 6;12: 3817
5) Sun Y, Tian Z, Liu N, Zhang L, Gao Z, Sun X, Yu M, Wu J, Yang F, Zhao Y, Ren H, Chen H, Zhao D, Wang Y, Dong S, Xu C, Lu F, Zhang W. Exogenous H2S switches cardiac energy substrate metabolism by regulating SIRT3 expression in db/db mice. J Mol Med (Berl). 2018;96(3-4):281-299
6) Teng YQ, DongYC, Liu ZY, Zou Y, Xie H，Zhao Y，Su J，Cao FL, Jin H*, Ren H*. DNA methylation-mediated caspase-8 down-regulation is highly relevant to anti-apoptosis activity and human malignant glioma grade. Int J Mol Med 2017; 39: 725-733
7) He X, Ren H*. Non-inflammasome forming NLRC3 suppresses tumorigenesis in the gut. J Xiangya Med 2017; 2: 64 (Editorial invited)
8) Xing WJ, Xiao Y, Lu XL, Li X*, Karin M*, Ren H*. GFI1 down-regulation promotes inflammation linked-metastasis of colorectal cancer. Cell Death & Differentiation 2017; 24 (5): 729-743
9) Lijie Sun, Yan Li, Xiuzhi Jia, Qi Wang, Weihua Zhang, Jingtao Wang, Hongwei Xu, Lihua Wang*, Dekai Zhang* and Huan Ren* Neuroprotection by IFN-g via astrocyte-secreted IL-6 in acute neuroinflammation. Oncotarget 2017; 8(25):40065-40078
10) Junwei Han , Siyao Liu , Zeguo Sun , Yunpeng Zhang , Fan Zhang , Chunlong Zhang , Desi Shang , Haixiu Yang , Fei Su , Yanjun Xu , Chunquan Li , Huan Ren* and Xia Li*. LncRNAs2Pathways: Identifying the pathways influenced by a set of interested lncRNAs based on global network propagation method. Scientific Reports 2017; 7: 46566
11) Liu ZY, Han L, Dong YC, Tan YL, Li YS, Zhao ML, Xie H, Ju HY, Wang H, Zhao Y, Zheng QF, Wang QX, Su J, Fang C, Fu SB, Jiang T, Liu JR, Li X*, Kang CS*, Ren H*. EGFRvIII/integrin β3 interactions in hypoxic and vitronectin-enriching microenvironment promote GBM progression and metastasis. Oncotarget 2016 Jan 26; 7(4):4680-94.
12) Xie H, Yang JF, Xing WJ, Dong YC, Ren H*. Nuclear EGFRvIII Resists Hypoxic Microenvironment Induced Apoptosis via Recruiting ERK1/2 Nuclear Translocation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016; 5; 470 (2):466-72.
13) Ju H, Xing W, Yang J, Zheng Y, Jia X, Zhang B, Ren H*. An effective cytokine adjuvant vaccine induces autologous T-cell response against colon cancer in an animal model. BMC Immunol. 2016; 17 (1): 31
14) Liu CD, Wang Q, Zong DK, Pei SC, Yan Y, Yan ML, Sun LL, Hao YY, Mao M, Xing WJ, Ren H, Ai J. Knockdown of microRNA-195 contributes to protein phosphatase-2A inactivation in rats with chronic brain hypoperfusion. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;45:76-87.
15) Tian L, Li L, Xing W, Li R, Pei C, Dong X, Fu Y, Gu C, Guo X, Jia Y, Wang G, Wang J, Li B, Ren H*, Xu H*. IRGM1 enhances B16 melanoma cell metastasis through PI3K-Rac1 mediated epithelial mesenchymal transition. Scientific Reports 2015 Jul 23; 5: 12357.
16) Yang J, Xu Z, Sui M, Han J, Sun L, Jia X, Zhang H, Han C, Jin X, Gao F, Liu Y, Li Y, Cao J, Ling H, Zhang F*, Ren H*. Co-Positivity for Anti-dsDNA, -Nucleosome and -Histone Antibodies in Lupus Nephritis Is Indicative of High Serum Levels and Severe Nephropathy. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 14; 10 (10): e0140441
17) Dong H, Tian L, Li R, Pei C, Fu Y, Dong X, Xia F, Wang C, Li W, Guo X, Gu C, Li B, Liu A, Ren H, Wang C, Xu H. IFNg-induced Irgm1 promotes tumorigenesis of melanoma via dual regulation of apoptosis and Bif-1-dependent autophagy. Oncogene. 2015 Oct 16;34 (42):5363-71
18) Zheng QF , Han L , Dong YC , Tian J, Huang W, Liu ZY, Jia XZ, Jiang T, Zhang JN, Li X*, Kang CS* and Ren H*. JAK2/STAT3 targeted therapy suppresses tumor invasion via disruption of the EGFRvIII/JAK2/STAT3 axis and associated focal adhesion in EGFRvIII-expressing glioblastoma. Neuro-Oncol 2014; 16 (9):1229-43.
20) Jin H, Zhang X, Su J, Teng Y, Ren H*, Yang L*. RNA interference-mediated knockdown of translationally controlled tumor protein induces apoptosis and inhibits growth and invasion in glioma cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Nov;12(5):6617-25
21) Jia X, Li J, Shi D, Zhao Y, Dong Y, Ju H, Yang J, Sun J, Li X*, Ren H*. Grouping annotations on the subcellular layered interactome demonstrates enhanced autophagy activity in a recurrent experimental autoimmune uveitis T cell line. PLoS One. 2014; 9 (8):e104404.
22) Li Y, Xu J, Ju H, Xiao Y, Chen H, Lv J, Shao T, Bai J, Zhang Y, Wang L, Wang X, Ren H*, Li X* A network-based, integrative approach to identify genes with aberrant co-methylation in colorectal cancer. Mol Biosyst. 2014;10 (2):180- 90
23) Hu MH, Zheng QF, Jia XZ, Li Y, Dong YC, Wang CY, Lin QY, Zhang FY, Zhao RB, Xu HW, Zhou JH, Yuan HP, Zhang WH, Ren H*. Neuroprotection effect of Interleukin-17 secreted by reactive astrocytes is emerged from a high-level IL-17-containing environment during acute neuroinflammation. Clin Exp Immunol 2014;175 (2):268-84 (Cover story)
24) Li Y, Xu J, Chen H, Bai J, Li S, Zhao Z, Shao T, Jiang T, Ren H*, Kang C*, Li X*. Comprehensive analysis of the functional microRNA–mRNA regulatory network identifies miRNA signatures associated with glioma malignant progression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Dec 1; 41(22):e203
25) Sui M, Lin Q, Xu Z, Han X, Xie R, Jia X, Guo X, Zhang W, Guan X, Ren H*. Simultaneous positivity for anti-DNA, anti-nucleosome and anti-histone antibodies is a marker for more severe lupus nephritis. J Clin Immunol. 2013;33 (2):378-87
26) Xing WJ, Zou Y, Han QL, Dong YC, Deng ZL, Lv XH, Jiang T, Ren H*. Effects of EGFR and PTEN gene expressions on the inhibition of U87MG glioblastoma cell proliferation induced by protein kinase inhibitors. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2013;40 (1):13-21
27) Pei C, Chen H, Jia X, Yan L, Zou Y, Jiang C, Jin H, Kang C, Jiang T, Ren H*. A high frequency of MSH6 G268A polymorphism and survival association in glioblastoma. Int J Neurosci 2013; 123 (2):114-20.
28) Xiao Y, Fan H, Zhang Y, Xing W, Ping Y, Zhao H, Xu C, Li Y, Wang L, Li F, Hu J, Huang T, Lv Y, Ren H*, Li X*. Systematic identification of core transcription factors mediating dysregulated links bridging inflammatory bowel diseases and colorectal. PLoS One. 2013; 8 (12):e83495.
31) Dong Y, Han Q, Zou Y, Deng Z, Lu X, Wang X, Zhang W, Jin H, Su J, Jiang T, Ren H*. Long-term exposure to imatinib reduced cancer stem cell ability through induction of cell differentiation via activation of MAPK signaling in glioblastoma cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012; 370 (1-2):89-102.
32) He S, Wang C, Dong H, Xia F, Zhou H, Jiang X, Pei C, Ren H, Li H, Li R, Xu H. Immune-related GTPase M1 (IRGM1) regulates neuronal autophagy in a mouse model of stroke. Autophagy 2012;8 (11):1621-7.
33) Xiao Y, Guan J, Ping Y, Xu C, Huang T, Zhao H, Fan H, Li Y, Lv Y, Zhao T, Dong Y, Ren H, Li X. Prioritizing cancer-related key miRNA-target interactions by integrative genomics. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40 (16):7653-65.
34) Xu J, Li CX, Lv JY, Li YS, Xiao Y, Shao TT, Huo X, Li X, Zou Y, Han QL, Li X*, Wang LH*, Ren H*. Prioritizing Candidate Disease miRNAs by Topological Features in the miRNA Target-Dysregulated Network: Case Study of Prostate Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011; 10 (10):1857-66.
35) Dong Y, Jia L, Wang X, Tan X, Xu J, Deng Z, Jiang T, Rainov NG, Li B, Ren H*. Selective inhibition on PDGFR by imatinib elicits sustained activation of ERK and downstream receptor signaling in malignant glioma cells. Int J Oncol. 2011; 38 (2):555-69.
36) Jia X, Hu M, Wang C, Wang C, Zhang F, Han Q, Zhao R, Huang Q, Xu H, Yuan H, Ren H*. Coordinated gene expression of Th17- and Treg-associated molecules correlated with resolution of the monophasic experimental autoimmune uveitis. Mol Vis. 2011; 7:1493-507.
37) Li X, Wang Q, Zheng Y, Lv S, Ning S, Sun J, Huang T, Zheng Q, Ren H, Xu J, Wang X, Li Y. Prioritizing human cancer microRNAs based on genes' functional consistency between microRNA and cancer. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011; 39 (22):e153.
38) Zheng H, Liu J, Liu C, Lu F, Zhao Y, Jin Z, Ren H, Leng X, Jia J, Hu G, Dong S, Zhong X, Li H, Yang B, Xu C, Zhang W. Calcium-sensing receptor activating phosphorylation of PKCδ translocation on mitochondria to induce cardiomyocyte apoptosis during ischemia/reperfusion. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011; 358 (1-2):335-43.
39) Xing WJ, Kong FJ, Li GW, Qiao K, Zhang WH, Zhang L, Bai SZ, Xi YH, Li HX, Tian Y, Ren H, Wu LY, Wang R, Xu CQ. Calcium-sensing receptors induce apoptosis during simulated ischaemia-reperfusion in Buffalo rat liver cells. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2011; 38 (9):605-12.
40) Lu FH, Tian Z, Zhang WH, Zhao YJ, Li HL, Ren H, Zheng HS, Liu C, Hu GX, Tian Y, Yang BF, Wang R, Xu CQ. Calcium-sensing receptors regulate cardiomyocyte Ca2+ signaling via the sarcoplasmic reticulum-mitochondrion interface during hypoxia/reoxygenation. J Biomed Sci. 2010;17; 17: 50.
41) Dong S, Teng Z, Lu FH, Zhao YJ, Li H, Ren H, Chen H, Pan ZW, Lv YJ, Yang BF, Tian Y, Xu CQ, Zhang WH. Post-conditioning protects cardiomyocytes from apoptosis via interacting with calcium-sensing receptors to inhibit endo(sarco)plasmic reticulum-mitochondria crosstalk. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010; 341(1-2):195-206.
42) Lu F, Tian Z, Zhang W, Zhao Y, Bai S, Ren H, Chen H, Yu X, Wang J, Wang L, Li H, Pan Z, Tian Y, Yang B, Wang R, Xu C. Calcium-sensing receptors induce apoptosis in rat cardiomyocytes via plasmic reticulum pathway during hypoxia/reoxygenation. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2010;106 (5):396-405.
43) Ren H*, Tan XQ, Dong YC, Giese A, Rainov NG. Differential effect of imatinib and synergism of combination treatment with chemotherapeutic agents in malignant glioma cells. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2009;104:241-252
44) Zhang Wei, Qiu Xiao-guang, Chen Bao-shi, Li Shou-wei, Cui Yun, Ren Huan and Jiang Tao. Antiangiogenic therapy with bevacizumab in recurrent malignant gliomas: analysis of the response and core pathway aberrations. Chin Med J 2009; 122 (11):1250-1254.
45) Li SW, Qiu XG, Chen BS, Zhang W, Ren H, Wang ZC, Jiang T. Prognostic factors influencing clinical outcomes of glioblastoma multiforme. Chin Med J 2009;122 (11):1245-9
46) Ren H*, Yang BF, Rainov NG. Receptor tyrosine kinases as therapeutic targets for malignant glioma. Rev Recent Clin Trials 2007; 2 (2) 87-101 (invited review)
47) Ren H, Giese A, Walker C, Pazmany L, Pelech S, Rainov NG Biological activity of the receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor Imatinib mesylate (STI571) in malignant glioma. Neuro-Oncology 2004; 335: ET-20
48) Rainov NG, Ren H. Clinical trials with retrovirus mediated gene therapy- what have we learned? J Neurooncol. 2003; 65 (3): 227-36.
49) Rainov NG, Ren H. Gene therapy for human malignant brain tumors. Cancer J. 2003; 9 (3): 180-8.
50) Ren H, Boulikas T, Soling A, Warnke PC, Rainov NG. Immunogene therapy of recurrent glioblastoma multiforme with a liposomally encapsulated replication-incompetent Semliki forest virus vector carrying the human interleukin-12 gene--a phase I/II clinical protocol. J Neurooncol. 2003; 64(1-2): 147-54.
51) Rainov NG, Ren H. Oncolytic viruses for treatment of malignant brain tumors. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2003; 88:113-23
Text books and Academic books；Teaching Reform Grants and Awards
- The War of Immunity against Human Disease, People’s Livelihood Science & Technology Series; 2019, ISBN-978-7-5046-8225-3
- Chief Editor, Tyrosine Kinases as drugable targets in Cancer (www. IntechOpen. com) 2019; in press
- Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Interaction with the Tumor Microenvironment in Malignant Progression of Human Glioblastoma; In: Glioma Contemporary Diagnostic and Therapeutic Approaches. IntechOpen 2018; ISBN 978-953-51-6182-0 (www. IntechOpen.com）
- Associate Editor, Antibody and Cytokine in: <Medical Immunology> 6th & 7th Ed. 2008, ISBN-9787040216516; 2012, ISBN-9787040347104
- Chief Editor: Review Questions and Guide in Medical Immunology; 2010, ISBN-9787040288698
- Chief Editor: Experimental Techniques in Immunology；2011, ISBN-9787040322255
- Chapter: T lymphocytes and Cell-mediated Immune Response in: Medical Immunology, National eText-book Series; 2014, www.imed.org.cn
- Chapters: T Lymphocytes, B Lymphocytes in: Medical Immunology in: Medical Immunology (Bilingual Ed.) 2016, ISBN-9787040444674
- Chapters: Innate Immune Cells, Transplantation Immunology in: Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews Immunology (Translation in Chineses Ed.); 2011, ISBN-9787030306531
- Chapter: Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) in: Medical Immunology; 2011, ISBN-9787040297706
- Chapters: T Lymphocytes, B Lymphocytes in: Medical Immunology in: Medical Immunology (Bilingual Ed.) 2010；ISBN-704030262
- Chapters: Reproductive Immunology, Immune-related Diseases in Respiratory System in: Clinical Immunology, 2010；ISBN-9787802454200
- Cytokines in: Medical Immunology; 2009；ISBN-9787811167986
- Review and Exam Guide in Medical Immunology; 2009, ISBN-9787811360974
- Molecular Targeted Therapy in Glioma in: Chemotherapy in Brain Tumor; 2008, ISBN-9787117104098
- Antigen Processing and Presentation in: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2006, ISBN-9861262938
- SMITH’S Recognizable Patterns of Human Congenital Malformation (Translation in Chinese Ed.) 6th Ed. 2007, ISBN-9787117084895
- Rainov NG, Ren H: Gene therapy for human malignant brain tumors. In: Glioblastoma multiforme (Markert J, DeVita Jr VT, Rosenberg SA, Hellman S, eds.), Jones & Bartlet Publ., 2004 ISBN 0763726400, pp 249-265
- Rainov NG, Ren H: Oncolytic viruses for treatment of malignant brain tumours. Acta Neurochir Suppl 88 (2003) (WestphaI M, Tonn JC, Ram Z eds. Local therapies for glioma. Present status and future developments. ISBN 3211403558, Springer Wien New York)
- Principle Investigator, Integrating knowledge of fundamental and clinical medicine, large-class and personalized education in Immunogy teaching activities. “12-5”Key Project, Heilongjiang Higher Education Committee 2012-2016
- Team-based Learning modules in Immunology Teaching practice. Heilongjiang Province Education Projects 2011-2013
- First Award, Heilongjiang Higher Education Committee 2008