Quan Liu, M.D., Ph.D., is an associate professor in the School of Medicine at SUSTech as well as a junior attending surgeon. Dr. Liu achieved his Medical Degree from Harbin Medical University (HMU) in 2002. He received his surgical training at the Second Affiliated Hospital of HMU from late 2002 through 2008 and specialized in cardiothoracic surgery. Dr. Liu moved forward for his Ph.D. degree and spent over 8 years (from 2009 to 2017) at the University of Pittsburgh. He studied transplantation immunobiology, inflammation regulation, and immunobiology of IL-33 and regulatory T cells (Treg) in the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute at the University of Pittsburgh with Drs. Heth Turnquist and Adrian Morelli.
1. Alloantigen presentation
2. Immunobiology of IL-33, Treg and ILC2 in settings of transplantation, inflammation regulation and tumor
Undergraduate: Biochemistry, Physiology and Pathophysiology
Academic and Professional Appointments
2018.08-present, Associate Professor, School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology
03.2014-04.2017, Research Associate， T.E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, USA
09.2014-08.2018, Deputy Chief Physician, Cardiovascular Surgery, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, China
09.2008-08.2014, Attending Physician, Cardiovascular Surgery, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, China
07.2005-08.2008, Resident, Cardiovascular Surgery, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, China
09.1997-06.2002, Clinical medicine, Undergraduate college, Haerbin Medical University
09.2002-06.2005, Surgery, Master, Haerbin Medical University
09.2008-12.2011, Surgery, Doctor, Haerbin Medical University
02.2009-08.2009, Clinical heart/lung transplantation observation, Presbyterian Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, USA
12.2009-03.2012, Research fellow, T.E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, USA
03.2012-02.2014, Postdoctor, T.E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, USA
1. Xiao F, Lin L, Chao Z, Shao C, Chen Z, Wei Z, Lu J, Huang Y, Li L, Liu Q, Liang Y, Tian L. Organic Spherical Nucleic Acids for the Transport of a NIR-II-Emitting Dye Across the Blood-Brain Barrier. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2020. (IF:12.257，Nature Index journal）
2. Lin L, Li Y, Liu M, Li Q, Liu Q#, Li R#. The Interleukin-33/ST2 axis promotes glioma mesenchymal transition, stemness and TMZ resistance via JNK activation. Aging. 2020;12:1685-1703.（#Co-corresponding author）
3. Liu Q, Dwyer GK, Zhao Y, Li H, Mathews LR, Chakka AB, Chandran UR, Demetris JA, Alcorn JF, Robinson KM, Ortiz LA, Pitt BR, Thomson AW, Fan MH, Billiar TR, Turnquist HR. IL-33-mediated IL-13 secretion by ST2+ Tregs controls inflammation after lung injury. JCI Insight. 2019;4(6). pii: 123919.
4. Liu Q, Rojas-Canales DM, Divito SJ, Shufesky WJ, Stolz DB, Erdos G, Sullivan ML, Gibson GA, Watkins SC, Larregina AT, Morelli AE. Donor dendritic cellderived exosomes promote allograft-targeting immune response. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:2805-20. (IF:12.784，Highly cited paper，Nature Index journal)
5. Zhuang Q*, Liu Q*, Divito SJ, Zeng Q, Yatim KM, Hughes AD, Rojas-Canales DM, Nakao A, Shufesky WJ, Williams AL, Humar R, Hoffman RA, Shlomchik WD, Oberbarnscheidt MH, Lakkis FG, Morelli AE. Graft-infiltrating host dendritic cells play a key role in organ transplant rejection. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12623. (*Co-First author，IF:12.124，Nature Index journal)
6. Matta BM, Reichenbach DK, Zhang X, Mathews L, Koehn BH, Dwyer GK, Lott JM, Uhl FM, Pfeifer D, Feser CJ, Smith MJ, Liu Q, Zeiser R, Blazar BR, Turnquist HR. Peri-alloHCT IL-33 administration expands recipient T regulatory cells that protect mice against acute GVHD. Blood. 2016;128:427-39.（IF:16.601）
7. Liu Q, Turnquist HR. Controlling the burn and fueling the fire: defining the role for the alarmin interleukin-33 in alloimmunity. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2016;21:45-52.
8. Reichenbach DK, Schwarze V, Matta BM, Tkachev V, Lieberknecht E, Liu Q, Koehn BH1, Pfeifer D, Taylor PA, Prinz G, Dierbach H, Stickel N, Beck Y, Warncke M, Junt T, Schmitt-Graeff A, Nakae S, Follo M, Wertheimer T, Schwab L, Devlin J, Watkins SC, Duyster J, Ferrara JL, Turnquist HR, Zeiser R, Blazar BR. The IL-33/ST2 axis augments effector T-cell responses during acute GVHD. Blood. 2015;125:3183-92.（IF:16.601）
9. Xu J, Jiang Y, Wang J, Shi X, Liu Q, Liu Z, Li Y, Scott MJ, Xiao G, Li S, Fan L, Billiar TR, Wilson MA, Fan J.Macrophage endocytosis of high-mobility group box1 triggers pyroptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:1229-39
10. Rosborough BR, Raïch-Regué D, Liu Q, Venkataramanan R, Turnquist HR, Thomson AW. Adenosine triphosphate-competitive mTOR inhibitors: a new class of immunosuppressive agents that inhibit allograft rejection. Am J Transplant. 2014;14:2173-80.
11. Matta BM, Lott JM, Mathews LR, Liu Q, Rosborough BR, Blazar BR, Turnquist HR. IL-33 is an unconventional alarmin that stimulates IL-2 secretion by dendritic cells to selectively expand IL-33R/ST2+ regulatory T cells. J Immunol. 2014;193:4010-20.
12. Rosborough BR, Mathews LR, Matta BM, Liu Q, Raïch-Regué D, Thomson AW, Turnquist HR.Cutting edge: Flt3 ligand mediates STAT3 independent expansion but STAT3-dependent activation of myeloid-derived suppressor cells. J Immunol. 2014;192:3470-3.
13. Liu Q, Wang Y, Nakao A, Zhang W, Gorantla V, Zheng XX. Heart allograft tolerance induced and maintained by vascularized hind-limb transplant in rats. Clin Dev Immunol. 2013; 2013:483856.
14. Du Q, Zhang X, Liu Q, Zhang X, Bartels C, Geller DA. Nitric Oxide Production Upregulates Wnt/β-catenin Signaling By Inhibiting Dickkopf-1. Cancer Res. 2013; 73: 6526-37.（Nature Index journal）
15. Cheng L, Guo H, Qiao X, Liu Q, Nie J, Li J, Wang J, Jiang K. T cell immunohistochemistry refines lung transplant acute rejection diagnosis and grading. Diagn Pathol. 2013;8:16
16. Liu Q, Turnquist HR. Implications for Interleukin-33 in solid organ transplantation. Cytokine. 2013;62:183-94.
17. Turnquist HR, Zhao Z, Rosborough BR, Liu Q, Castellaneta A, Isse K, Wang Z, Lang M, Stolz DB, Zheng XX, Demetris AJ, Liew FY, Wood KJ, Thomson AW. IL-33 expands suppressive CD11b+ Gr-1int and regulatory T cells, including ST2L+ Foxp3+ cells, and mediates regulatory T cell dependent promotion of cardiac allograft survival. J Immunol. 2011; 187: 4598-610.
18. Divito SJ, Wang Z, Shufesky WJ, Liu Q, Tkacheva OA, Montecalvo A, Erdos G, Larregina AT, Morelli AE. Endogenous dendritic cells mediate the effects of intravenously injected therapeutic immunosuppressive dendritic cells in transplantation. Blood. 2010; 116: 2694-705. （IF:16.601）