Raymond Yu Wang (王雨)
Address: Center for Social Sciences, Southern University of Science and Technology, 1088 Xueyuan Avenue, Shenzhen 518055, P. R. China
Research areas: Political Geography; Water Governance; Environmental Politics; Political Ecology; Common-pool resources
2009—2014 The University of Hong Kong Department of Geography Ph.D. in Human Geography
2011 Utrecht University Department of Sociology Visiting Ph.D. fellow
2007—2009 Renmin University of China School of Environment M.Phil. in Natural Resources Management
2003—2007 Beijing Normal University School of Geography B.Sc. in Geography
Since 2020 Center for Social Sciences, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China Associate Professor
2016—2020 School of Government, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China Associate Professor
2014—2016 Public Policy Initiative, Faculty of Social Sciences, The University of Hong Kong Post-doctoral Fellow
Professional services and outreach
2019—present Chinese Association for Administrative Division and Regional Development Promotion Committee Member
2018—present Political Geography and Geo-relations Committee, Geographical Society of China Committee Member
2016—present Center for Chinese Public Administration Research, Ministry of Education Research Fellow
2017—present Center for Chinese Geo-relational Research, Beijing Normal University Research Fellow
2018—2020 Guangzhou Institute of Urban Innovation Vice-director
Academic Publications (Note: *corresponding author)
- Hu, Z., Wang, F., An, N., Wang, R. Y., Song, T., Peng, F.,…,Xiong, C. (2020). Can foreign theories be used in China? Reflections and references on the development of Western political geography and geopolitics. Geographical Researh, 32(2), 217-231. 胡志丁, 王丰龙, 安宁, 王雨, 宋涛, 彭飞, . . . 熊琛然. (2020). 洋能否为中用？西方政治地理与地缘政治发展的借鉴与反思. 地理研究, 32(2), 217-231. (in Chinese)
- Wang, R. Y., & Dai, L.* (2019). Hong Kong’s water security: a governance perspective. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 1-19. doi: http://doi.org/10.1080/07900627.2019.1688647
- Jia, S.*, Li, D., & Wang, R. Y. (2019). A portfolio of China’s urban water governance sector: administrative system, coordination problems and policy evolution. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 1-17. doi: http://doi.org/10.1080/07900627.2019.1668754
- Liu, X., Souter, N. J.*, Wang, R. Y., & Vollmer, D. (2019). Aligning the Freshwater Health Index Indicator System against the Transboundary Water Governance Framework of Southeast Asia’s Sesan, Srepok, and Sekong River Basin. Water, 11(11), 2307. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/w11112307
- Wang, R. Y., Ng, C. N., & Qi, X. X*. (2019). The Chinese Characteristics of Payments for Ecosystem Services: A Conceptual Analysis of Water Eco-compensation Mechanisms. International Journal of Water Resources Development. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/07900627.2019.1605889
- Dai, L., van Doorn-Hoekveld, W. J., Wang, R. Y.*, & van Rijswick, H. F. M. W. (2019). Dealing with distributional effects of flood risk management in China: compensation mechanisms in flood retention areas. Water International, 44(5), 607-621.
- Liu, Q., & Wang, R. Y.* (2019). Peasant Resistance Beyond the State: Peasant–NGO Interactions in Post Wenchuan Earthquake Reconstruction, China. Journal of Contemporary China, 28(115), 151-166. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10670564.2018.1497917
- Wang, R. Y., Liu, T., & Dang, H. (2018). Bridging critical institutionalism and fragmented authoritarianism in China: An analysis of centralized water policies and their local implementation in semi-arid irrigation districts. Regulation & Governance, 12(4), 451-465. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/rego.12198
- Liu, Q., Wang, R. Y., & Dang, H. P*. (2018). The Hidden Gaps in Rural Development: Examining Peasant-NGO Relations through a Post-earthquake Recovery Project in Sichuan, China. The China Quarterly, 233, 43-63. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0305741017001722
- Wang, Z., Li, J., Lai, C.*, Wang, R. Y.*, Chen, X., & Lian, Y. (2018). Drying tendency dominating the global grain production area. Global Food Security, 16, 138-149. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2018.02.001
- Qi, X., Wang, R. Y., Li, J., Zhang, T., Liu, L.*, & He, Y. (2018). Ensuring food security with lower environmental costs under intensive agricultural land use patterns: A case study from China. Journal of Environmental Management, 213, 329-340. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.02.048
- Qi, X., Fu, Y., Wang, R. Y., Ng, C. N., Dang, H. P.*, & He, Y. (2018). Improving the sustainability of agricultural land use: An integrated framework for the conflict between food security and environmental deterioration. Applied Geography, 90, 214-223. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2017.12.009
- Vollmer, D., Shaad, K., Souter, N. J., Farrell, T., Dudgeon, D., Sullivan, C. A., Fauconnier, I.,. . . Wang, R. Y., Lai, C. G., Wang, Z. L., Regan, H. M. (2018). Integrating the social, hydrological and ecological dimensions of freshwater health: The Freshwater Health Index. Science of the Total Environment, 627, 304-313. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.01.040
- Chen, Y., Liu, X.*, Gao, W., Wang, R. Y., Li, Y., & Tu, W. (2018). Emerging social media data on measuring urban park use and their relationship with surrounding areas—A case study of Shenzhen. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 31, 130-141. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2018.02.005
- Liu, T., & Shi, Q., Wang, R. Y. *, Yang, Y. (2018). Urban-rural development and occupation of cultivated land in China: Trends, geography, and drivers. Geographical Research, 37(8), 1609-1623. 刘涛, 史秋洁, 王雨*, 杨宇. (2018). 中国城乡建设占用耕地的时空格局及形成机制. 地理研究, 37(8), 1609-1623. (in Chinese)
- Liu, X., Wang, R. Y. *, & Ge, Y. (2018). Roles of International Non-governmental Organizations in Global Environmental Politics: A Critical Geopolitical Perspective. Human Geography, 33(5), 123-132. 刘晓凤, 王雨*, & 葛岳静. (2018). 环境政治中国际非政府组织的角色：基于批判地缘政治的视角. 人文地理，33(5), 123-132. (in Chinese)
- Wang, R. Y. (2017). Trans-boundary Water Governance under the Framework of “One Country, Two Systems”. Tropical Geography, 37(2), 154-162. 王雨. (2017). 一国两制下的跨境水资源治理. 热带地理, 37(2), 154-162. (in Chinese)
- Wang, R. Y., Ng, C. N., Lenzer Jr, J. H., Dang, H. P., Liu, T & Yao, S. J. (2017). Unpacking Water Conflicts: A Reinterpretation of Coordination Problems in China’s Water Governance System. International Journal of Water Resources Development. 33(4), 553-569. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/07900627.2016.1197824
- Liu, T. Cao, G. Z., Yan, Y., & Wang, R. Y*. (2016). Urban Land Marketization in China: Central Policy, Local Initiative, and Market Mechanism. Land Use Policy, 57, 265-276. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2016.06.001
- Jia, S. F., Long, Q. B., Wang, R. Y.*, Yan, J. B., & Kang, D. Y. (2016). On the Inapplicability of the Cobb-Douglas Production Function for Estimating the Benefit of Water Use and the Value of Water Resources. Water Resources Management, 30(10), 3645-3650. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-016-1349-z
- Wang, R. Y., Si, Z. Z., Ng, C. N., & Scott, S. (2015). The transformation of trust in China's alternative food networks: disruption, reconstruction, and development. Ecology and Society, 20(2). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-07536-200219
- Wang, R. Y.*, & Ng, C. N. (2015). Can Centralized Sanctioning Promote Trust in Social Dilemmas? A Two-Level Trust Game with Incomplete Information. Plos One, 10(4), e0124513. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0124513
- Ng, C. N., Wang, R. Y.*, & Zhao, T. (2013). Joint Effects of Asymmetric Payoff and Reciprocity Mechanisms on Collective Cooperation in Water Sharing Interactions: A Game Theoretic Perspective. Plos One, 8(8), e73793. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0073793
- Principle investigator. “The Geopolitics of International Rivers: A Case Study of Lancang-Mekong Transboundary Water Governance”. (Project No. 41801132). Young Scientists Fund, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC). 2019-2021.
- Principle investigator. “Trans-boundary Water Governance under the Lancang-Mekong Collaboration Mechanism: From the Perspectives of Geopolitics and International Non-profit Organizations”. (Project No. 17YJCZH183). Humanities and Social Science Research Fund, Ministry of Education of China. 2017-2020.
- Principle investigator. “A Critical Geopolitical Analysis of Transboundary Water Governance in the Lancang-Mekong: Evidence Based on International Non-profit Organizations”. (Project No. 2018A030313964). General Fund, Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province. 2018-2021.
- Principle investigator. “Local Natural Resources and Environmental Governance in the Context of New Urbanization: A Case Study of Land Use Rights and Water Rights Transfer”. Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, Key project of Sun Yat-sen University.
- Principle investigator. “Water Eco-compensation Mechanism in the Dongjiang River”. Startup Research Fund, Sun Yat-sen University
- Principle investigator. “The promises and limitations of a rights-based approach to water management in China: a case study of the Ningxia Hetao Region in the upper reaches of the Yellow River”. Small project funding, The University of Hong Kong
- Moving beyond state-NGO relations: The local development strategies of an international environmental NGO in rural China. The 9th Sino-US International Conference for Public Administration, June 15-17, 2018, Beijing, China.
- Probing the interfaces between centralized water policies and their local implementation: Insights from irrigation management in semi-arid northwest China. Paper presented at the 2017 Tsinghua Commons workshop, October 14-15, 2017, Beijing, China.
- Probing the micro-processes of water governance in southern China: State policies, rural development and public engagement. Paper presented at the XVI Biennial IASC-Conference, July 10-14, 2017, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- “One Country, Two Systems”: The Water, Food and People that Flow across Hong Kong-Mainland Boundaries. Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference of Political Geography, August 27-30, 2016, Kunming, China.
- Probing the Fragmentation in China’s Authoritarian Water Governance System: Local Experiments and Policy Implementation. Paper presented at the 33rd International Geographical Congress, August 21-25, 2016 Beijing, China.
- Food Safety and Trust: A Survey of Food Consumption in Hong Kong. Paper presented at the 33rd International Geographical Congress, August 21-25, 2016 Beijing, China.
- Power, Technocracy and Neoliberalism: the Political Ecology the Middle Route of China’s South-to-North Water Diversion Project. Paper presented at the the Annual Meeting of The Association of American Geographers, April 21-25, 2015, Chicago, USA.
- Asymmetric Payoff Mechanism and Information Effects in Water Sharing Interactions: A Game Theoretic Model of Collective Cooperation. Paper presented at the The 14th Global Conference of the International Association for the Study of the Commons, June 3-7, 2013, Japan.
- In Coping with the Tragedy of the Commons: A Game Theoretic Perspective on Water Sharing Interactions and Cooperation. Paper presented at the Sino-European Symposium on Environment and Health, Aug 20-25, 2012, Galway, Ireland.
- Information and Cooperation in Water Pollution Dilemma: A Game Theoretic Perspective. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of The Association of American Geographers. Feb 24-28, 2012, New York, USA.
Urbanization in China; Foundation of Sustainable Development; Environmental Policy and Governance