Chair Professor Wu Decheng received his Bachelor and Master degrees in Polymer Chemistry from University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 1998 and 2001, and Ph.D. degree in Chemistry from National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2006. In 2005, he began to work as a research engineer at Institute of Materials Research & Engineering (IMRE), A*STAR, Singapore. In 2009, he was promoted to a senior research engineer. In 2011, he became a professor and group leader at Institute of Chemistry (ICCAS), Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China. In 2015, he became an adjunct professor of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS). In 2019, he moved to Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) as a Chair Professor and built his biomedical polymers group. Prof. Wu Decheng won “National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars” in 2017, “Innovative Talent Promotion Plan of the Ministry of Science and Technology” in 2018, and “National Special Support Program for High-level Personnel Recruitment” in 2019. He has published more than 100 papers, and filed 17 granted patents. His research interests include biomedical polymers and hydrogels for applications in medical devices, bioimaging, drug delivery and tissue engineering.
2002-2006 Ph. D. in Chemistry, National University of Singapore
1998-2001 M. S. in Polymer Science, University of Science and Technology of China
1993-1998 B. S. in Polymer Science, University of Science and Technology of China
2019-now Chair Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
2015-2019 Adjunct Professor, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
2011-2019 Professor, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2009-2010 Senior Research Engineer, Institute of Materials Research & Engineering
2005-2009 Research Engineer, Institute of Materials Research & Engineering
Biomedical Polymers and Hydrogels; Medical Dressings and Devices; Bioimaging; Drug Delivery; Tissue Engineering
Journal Editorial Board
2019-present Editorial Board of Bioactive Materials
2017-present Editorial Board of Chinese Journal of Chemistry
2014-2016 Young Editorial Board of Chinese Chemical Letters
Honors and Awards
2019 National Special Support Program for High-level Personnel Recruitment
2008 Technological Invention First Prize of Ministry of Education
2018 Innovative Talent Promotion Plan of the Ministry of Science and Technology
2017 National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars
10. Bu YZ, Zhang LC, Sun GF, Sun FF, Liu JH, Yang F,* Tang PF,* Wu DC.* Tetra-PEG Based Hydrogel Sealants for In Vivo Visceral Hemostasis. Advanced Materials 2019, 31, 1901580.
9. Wang X, Gao PY, Yang YY, Guo HX, Wu DC.* Dynamic and Programmable Morphology and Size Evolution via a Living Hierarchical Self-assembly Strategy. Nature Communications 2018, 9, 2772.
8. Zhang Z, Zeng TY, Xia L, Hong CY,* Wu DC,* You YZ.* Synthesis of Polymers with On-demand Sequence Structures via Dually Switchable and Interconvertible Polymerizations. Nature Communications 2018, 9, 2577.
7. Yang YY, Wang X, Yang F, Wang LN,* Wu DC.* Highly Elastic and Ultratough Hybrid Ionic–Covalent Hydrogels with Tunable Structures and Mechanics. Advanced Materials 2018, 30, 1707071.
6. Zhang J, Jia JP, Kim JP, Shen H, Yang F,* Zhang Q, Xu M, Bi WZ, Wang X, Yang J, Wu DC.* Ionic Colloidal Molding as a Biomimetic Scaffolding Strategy for Uniform Bone Tissue Regeneration. Advanced Materials 2017, 29, 1605546.
5. Yang YY, Wang X, Yang F, Shen H, Wu DC.* A Universal Soaking Strategy to Convert Composite Hydrogels into Extremely Tough and Rapidly Recoverable Double-Network Hydrogels. Advanced Materials 2016, 28, 7178.
4. Bu YZ, Zhang LC, Liu JH, Zhang LH, Li TT, Shen H, Wang X, Yang F,* Tang PF,* Wu DC.* Synthesis and Properties of Hemostatic and Bacteria-Responsive in Situ Hydrogels for Emergency Treatment in Critical Situations. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2016, 8, 12674.
3. Huang D, Li DW, Wang TT, Shen H, Zhao P, Liu BX, You YZ, Ma YZ,* Yang F,* Wu DC,* Wang SG. Isoniazid Conjugated Poly(lactide-co-glycolide): Long-term Controlled Drug Release and Tissue Regeneration for Bone Tuberculosis Therapy. Biomaterials 2015, 52, 417.
2. Zhu H,* Yang F, Tang B, Li XM, Chu YN, Liu YL, Wang SG, Wu DC,* Zhang Y.* Mesenchymal Stem Cells Attenuated PLGA-induced Inflammatory Responses by Inhibiting Host DC Maturation and Function. Biomaterials 2015, 53, 688.
1. Wu DC,* Loh XJ, Wu YL, Lay CL, Liu Y.* ‘Living' Controlled in situ Gelling Systems: Thiol-disulfide Exchange Method towards Tailor-made Biodegradable Hydrogels. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010,132, 15140.