Research Associate Professor
Innovation Center for Biomedical Engineering
Dr. ZHANG has made original contributions to the interdisciplinary field involving Chemistry, Materials Science and Medicine. His research focuses on following aspects: synthesis and application of novel plasmonic materials; rapid diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes; specific diagnosis of Zika infection; materials and methods for the preservation, isolation and detection of nucleic acids. Dr. ZHANG has over 30 publications on top rank journals, including two 1st author Nature Medicine (IF=32) paper for disease diagnosis. His total citation is 3520, H-index is 24. Dr. Zhang has served as principal investigator for 3 NIH projects, with total funding of 1.9 million USD. The research outcome from these projects has already been implemented in clinical applications. Dr. ZHANG was listed Forbes China 30 under 30, and has received silver award from Materials Research Society, and Mona Burgess Fellow from Stanford University.
1. Biomarker enrichment and detection based on novel nano-materials.
2. Applications of graphene materials in the environment and life sciences.
3. Application of new chemical materials and technologies in environmental engineering.
Publications and Papers
1. Bo Zhang (1st and Corresponding author), Benjamin A. Pinsky, Jeyarama S. Ananta, Su Zhao, Shylaja Arulkumar, Hao Wan, Malaya K. Sahoo, Janaki Abeynayake, Jesse J. Waggoner, Clay Hopes, Meijie Tang and Hongjie Dai. “Diagnosis of Zika virus infection on a nanotechnology platform” Nature Medicine, 23, 548, 2017.
2. Christelle Pomares, Bo Zhang (co-1st and Corresponding author), Shylaja Arulkumar, Geraldine Gonfrier, Pierre Marty, Su Zhao, Steven Cheng, Meijie Tang, Hongjie Dai and Jose Montoya. “Validation of IgG, IgM multiplex plasmonic gold platform in French clinical cohorts for the serodiagnosis and follow up of Toxoplasma gondii infection” Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease, 87, 213, 2017.
3. Xiaohua Chen, Odgerel Oidovsambuu, Ping Liu, Rosslyn Grosely, Menashe Elazar, Virginia D Winn, Benjamin Fram, Zhang Bo, Hongjie Dai, Bekhbold Dashtseren, Dahgwahdorj Yagaanbuyant, Zulkhuu Genden, Naranbaatar Dashdorj, Andreas Bungert, Naranjargal Dashdorj, Jeffrey S Glenn. “A novel quantitative microarray antibody capture (Q‐MAC) assay identifies an extremely high HDV prevalence amongst HBV infected Mongolians” Hepatology, DOI: 10.1002/hep.28957, 2016.
4. Shoujun Zhu, Qinglai Yang, Alexander Antaris, Jingying Yue, Zhuoran Ma, Huasen Wang, Wei Huang, Hao Wan, Joy Wang, Shuo Diao, Bo Zhang, Xiaoyang Li, Yeteng Zhong, Kuai Yu, Guosong Hong, Jian Luo, Yongye Liang and Hongjie Dai. “Molecular imaging of biological systems with a clickable dye in the broad 800- to 1700-nm near-infrared window” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114, 962, 2016.
5. Bin Liu, Yaling Li, Hao Wan, Lin Wang, Wei Xu, Shoujun Zhu, Yongye Liang, Bo Zhang, Jiatao Lou, Hongjie Dai and Kun Qian. “High performance, multiplexed lung cancer biomarker detection on a plasmonic gold chip” Advanced Functional Materials, 26, 7994, 2016.
6. Byumseok Koh, Xiaoyang Li, Bo Zhang, Bing Yuan, Yi Lin, Alexander L. Antaris, Hao Wan, Ming Gong, Jiang Yang, Xiaodong Zhang, Yongye Liang, and Dai. "Visible to Near-Infrared Fluorescence Enhanced Cellular Imaging on Plasmonic Gold Chips" Small, 12, 457, 2016.
7. Alexander L Antaris, Hao Chen, Kai Cheng, Yao Sun, Guosong Hong, Chunrong Qu, Shuo Diao, Zixin Deng, Xianming Hu, Bo Zhang, Xiaodong Zhang, Omar K Yaghi, Zita R Alamparambil, Xuechuan Hong, Zhen Cheng and Hongjie Dai. “A small-molecule dye for NIR-II imaging” Nature materials, 15, 235, 2015.
8. Shuo Diao, Jeffrey L Blackburn, Guosong Hong, Alexander L Antaris, Junlei Chang, Justin Z Wu, Bo Zhang, Kai Cheng, Calvin J Kuo and Hongjie Dai. “Fluorescence Imaging In Vivo at Wavelengths beyond 1500 nm” Angewandte Chemie, 127, 14971, 2015.
9. Valentina Manfe, Jan Fleckner, Peder Norby Lisby, Bo Zhang, Hongjie Dai and Pernille Keller. “Cytokine detection and simultaneous assessment of rheumatoid factor interference in human serum and synovial fluid using high-sensitivity protein arrays on plasmonic gold chips” BMC Biotechnology, 15, 73, 2015.
10. Changxin Chen, Justin Zachary Wu, Kai Tak Lam, Guosong Hong, Ming Gong, Bo Zhang, Yang Lu, Alexander L. Antaris, Shuo Diao, Jing Guo, and Hongjie Dai. "Graphene Nanoribbons Under Mechanical Strain" Advanced Materials, 27, 303-309, 2015.
11. Bo Zhang, Rajiv Kumar, Hongjie Dai and Brian Feldman. “A plasmonic Chip for Biomarker Discovery and Diagnosis of Type-1 Diabetes.” Nature Medicine, 20, 948, 2014.
12. Bo Zhang, Jiang Yang, Yingping Zou, Ming Gong, Hui Chen, Guosong Hong, Alexander L. Antaris, Xiaoyang Li, Chien-Liang Liu, Changxin Chen and Hongjie Dai. “Plasmonic micro-beads for fluorescence enhanced, multiplexed protein detection with flow cytometry.” Chemical Science, 5, 4070, 2014.
13. Guosong Hong, Shuo Diao, Junlei Chang, Alexander L. Antaris, Changxin Chen, Bo Zhang, Su Zhao, Dmitriy N. Atochin, Paul L. Huang, Katrin I. Andreasson, Calvin J. Kuo, and Hongjie Dai. “Through-skull fluorescence imaging of the brain in a new near-infrared window.” Nature Photonics, 8, 723, 2014.
14. Ming Gong, Wu Zhou, Mon-Che Tsai, Jigang Zhou, Mingyun Guan, Meng-Chang Lin, Bo Zhang, Yongfeng Hu, Di-Yan Wang, Jiang Yang, Stephen J. Pennycook, Bing-Joe Hwang and Hongjie Dai. “Nanoscale nickel oxide/nickel heterostructures for active hydrogen evolution electrocatalysis.” Nature Communications, 5, 4695, 2014.
15. Guosong Hong, Yingping Zou, Alexander L. Antaris, Shuo Diao, Di Wu, Kai Cheng, Xiaodong Zhang, Changxin Chen, Bo Liu, Yuehui He, Justin Z. Wu, Jun Yuan, Bo Zhang, Zhimin Tao, Chihiro Fukunaga and Hongjie Dai. “Ultrafast fluorescence imaging in vivo with conjugated polymer fluorophores in the second near-infrared window.” Nature Communications, 5, 4206, 2014.
16. Xiaobin Tang, Bo Zhang, Justin A. Jarrell, Jordan V. Price, Hongjie Dai, Paul J Utz and Sam Strober. “Ly108 expression distinguishes subsets of invariant NKT cells that help autoantibody production and secrete IL-21 from those that secrete IL-17 in lupus prone NZB/W mice.” Journal of Autoimmunity, 50, 87, 2014
.17. Ming Gong, Yanguang Li, Hongbo Zhang, Bo Zhang, Wu Zhou, Ju Feng, Hailiang Wang, Yongye Liang, Zhuangjun Fan, Jie Liu and Hongjie Dai. “Ultrafast high-capacity NiZn battery with NiAlCo-layered double hydroxide.” Energy and Environmental Science, 135 (23), 8452, 2014.
18. Zhimin Tao, Guosong Hong, Chihiro Shinji, Changxin Chen, Shuo Diao, Alexander L. Antaris, Bo Zhang, Yingping Zou and Hongjie Dai. “Biological imaging using nanoparticles of small organic molecules with fluorescence at wavelengths longer than 1000 nm.” Angewante Chemie, 125 (49), 13240, 2013.
19. Bo Zhang, Justin A. Jarrell, Jordan V. Price, Scott M. Tabakman, Yanguang Li, Ming, Gong, Guosong Hong, Ju Feng, Paul J. Utz and Hongjie Dai. “An integrated peptide-antigen microarray on plasmonic gold films for sensitive human antibody profiling.” Plos ONE, 8, e71043, 2013.
20. Yanguang Li, Ming Gong, Yongye Liang, Ju Feng, Ji-Eun Kim, Hailiang Wang, Guosong Hong, Bo Zhang and Hongjie Dai. “Advanced zinc-air batteries based on high-performance hybrid electrocatalysts.” Nature Communications, 4, 1805, 2013.
21. Bo Zhang, Jordan Price, Guosong Hong, Scott M. Tabakman, Hailiang Wang, Justin A. Jarrell, Ju Feng, Paul J. Utz and Hongjie Dai. “Multiplexed cytokine detection on plasmonic gold substrates with enhanced near-infrared fluorescence.” Nano Research, 6, 113, 2013.
22. Ju Feng, Yongye Liang, Hailiang Wang, Yanguang Li, Bo Zhang, Jigang Zhou, Jian Wang, Tom Regier and Hongjie Dai. “Engineering manganese oxide/nanocarbon hybrid materials for oxygen reduction electrocatalysis.” Nano Research, 5 (10), 718, 2012.
23. Joshua T. Robinson, Guosong Hong, Yongye Liang, Bo Zhang, Omar K. Yaghi and Hongjie Dai. “In vivo fluorescence imaging in the second near-infrared window with long circulating carbon nanotubes capable of ultrahigh tumor uptake.” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 134 (25), 10664, 2012.
24. Guosong Hong, Justin Z. Wu, Joshua T. Robinson, Hailiang Wang, Bo Zhang and Hongjie Dai. “Three-dimensional imaging of single nanotube molecule endocytosis on plasmonic substrates.” Nature Communications, 3, 700, 2012.
25. Scott M. Tabakman, Lana Lau, Joshua T. Robinson, Jordan Price, Sarah P. Sherlock, Hailiang Wang, Bo Zhang, Zhuo Chen, Stephanie Tangsombatvisit, Justin A. Jarrell, Paul J. Utz and Hongjie Dai. “Plasmonic substrates for multiplexed protein microarrays with femtomolar sensitivity and broad dynamic range.” Nature Communications, 2, 466, 2011.
26. Guosong Hong, Scott M. Tabakman, Kevin Welsher, Zhuo Chen, Joshua T. Robinson, Hailiang Wang, Bo Zhang and Hongjie Dai. “Near-infrared-fluorescence-enhanced molecular imaging of live cells on gold substrates.” Angewante Chemie, 50, 4644, 2011.
27. Guo Hong, Bo Zhang, Banghua Peng, Xiaojun Xian, Jin Zhang, WonMook Choi, Jae-Young Choi, Jong Min Kim and Zhongfan Liu. “Direct growth of semiconducting single-walled carbon nanotube array.” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 131, 14642, 2009.
28. Bo Zhang, Guo Hong, Banghua Peng, Jin Zhang, WonMook Choi, Jong Min Kim, Jae- Young Choi, and Zhongfan Liu. “Grow Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Cross-Bar in One Batch.” J. Phys. Chem. C, 113, 5341, 2009. (Cover Art)